Drobo on FW800 advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mediamab, Jul 10, 2009.

1. mediamab macrumors member

hiya,

ium considering a Drobo for backup and also to use to store a parallels image of XP on etc...

I plan to connect it via FW800 with my macbookpro..

I have 2 questions...

As it will not always be connected what happens when it isnt? does it still offer full security?

What spec drives should i look at to get the best performance or is anything better than fw800 transfer speeds? anyone with a link for UK to advised drives would be great..

many thanks

2. morphin1 macrumors newbie

I would advice against a Drobo.
    I have a Drobo 2 (4slot) and there are many limitations:
    1. You cannot archive(i.e: remove a drive and archive it)
    2. It takes anywhere from 24-30 hours to sync 1tb data. (This happens when you have 1tb existing data and you insert new HDD and allow it to back up. This is a ridiculous amount of time and on the forums there have been a lot of Drobo failures, even the Drobo people market the product wrongly. Forums are close for a reason and I am surprised that so many reviews do not cover its flaws:)
    3. It is very slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Trust me on this. Tech specs are wrong on this product. USB 2.0 does not transfer the data at the given rate.

I would say save your money and stay clear of this device. Better to get external hdd's (will cost you prolly $10 more than internal) and are more reliable.
    In case you decide to get it don't get the WD green drives and stay clear of Seagate.
    Again my advice don't buy it.

3. mediamab thread starter macrumors member

thanks for your feedback...

and i appreciate your views and have read about this... for me though the rebuild time doesnt massively bother me... I will also be making use of two older drives to double backup important items are for current design projects I will be syncing also to apple and all projects will be on a dvd also ... reducing risk of every having data missing...

what i love about it is that fact it can be easily upgraded and its v user friendly...

I do thank you for your input though...

I was thinking of gettin deskstar drives..

does anyone else have any views?