Drobo problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by whitenoise, Jul 7, 2010.

1. whitenoise macrumors regular

Not really a Mac related question, but I hope you can help me. :eek:

I powered down and disconnected all my computer gear recently as I was supposed to be having a new electricity meter installed. (I think they are changing to digital, and I might have found out if they had bothered turning up, but thats another story. :mad:). Better safe than sorry, I thought.

I put the Drobo's (two connected to my network via a droboshare), into standby then closed down the computer, then I disconnected the cables and unplugged.

When I realised I might as well set everything back up again, :)mad:), I plugged in the power cables again and rebooted the computer. The wired network kept dropping the internet after a couple of minutes, but I manually added the IP address - the went back to automatic and it seemed to do the trick. (on my xp desktop, btw :eek: ).

Problem: At the moment the drobo dashboard is showing "ready for connection". Both Drives are green and the capacities look ok. Both drives were active for a while last night, but my biggest drive stopped and its the smaller of the two thats worrying me.

Its been actively reading/writing for around 33hrs now. It seems like its working away at rebuilding itself? It did just stop for a couple of minutes - I held my breath, but it started again. :rolleyes:

Am I right to think that its rebuilding itself? (its has atleast 2tb of files on it). I was in the middle of organising my backups, so I could mirror the two drobo's. Sod's law that somethings gone wrong before I got that done!

Any advice? I'm thinking "leave it be, and hope for the best".....AND I don't wanna start playing around while the drive is still active. Worst thing is - whatever happens, the meter is "supposedly" getting changed on the 20th, so I could be going through this again!

Anyway, I hope you can put my mind at rest... Thanks for the help. ;)

2. whitenoise thread starter macrumors regular

progress

The constant accessing has stopped, and the Drobo Dashboard has found the drives!....Unfortunately the pc has found only one of them.

I'm in the middle of things atm, so I can't reboot, but that will be my next job....check cables, reboot, cross fingers. (Obviously, its the largest drive that hasn't been found - the drive that didn't seem to have any problems :rolleyes: )

If all goes well will someone remind me to get this backup done?! The drobo's were my backup was, but I'm organising/deleting duplicates, so there was a danger time, that I happily walked right into. I really need to get this all sorted before they get turned off again on the 20th. :eek: