Drobo question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GregE, Apr 7, 2009.

1. GregE macrumors 6502

Is there a difference between using a Drobo with Drobo share or using it with Airport Extreme? I need a method to put my music and files on a EHD that my iMac and MacBook Pro can both access and have the data protected.

Thanks

2. rhyx macrumors 6502

Drobo Share might offer better performance. I know that the Airport Extreme doesn't really offer that great of performance. Read the specs on Drobo Share.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

A DroboShare should be a bit faster seeing how it is dedicated hardware, but I honestly don't see too much of a difference. This is assuming you connect your DroboShare to your Airport Extreme with a Cat6 cable.

4. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Just remember that Time Machine only works if you directly connect the Drobo to your Mac. There is an application in DroboApps, but its uncertified......

5. GregE thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all of the input. I'm having trouble justifying the price of a Drobo. I might just have to do another Guardian Maximus.

Greg

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

are you sure about that? i thought time machine works with usb hard drives connected to airport extremes?

7. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Yep, it does, as long as you follow a few simple steps to set it up.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

DroboShare is a POS; you can't restrict access permissions and it's really slow. You'll be better off plugging into a AEBS; however either way, USB 2.0 is very slow, so the best would be use Firewire. I would say connect the Drobo to your iMac and then share it from that. Of this latter solution means you will need to have the iMac on all the time.

It is worth it in my mind, but it does get pricey since you are paying $400+ for an enclosure and then spend another $400 on drives.

9. OldMike macrumors 6502

Greg, How do you like the Guardian Maximus (I'm assuming you like it since you are contemplating another one). I've been up all night researching external drive options - and can't decide.

How long have you had the Guardian Maximus for, and have you had any issues with it? I'm looking for something that is reliable and can be used as an external boot drive...

Thanks.

10. GregE thread starter macrumors 6502

I've had it for a year now and really like it. No issues at all.

I know what you mean. I was looking yesterday. I really like the idea of the Drobo but just have trouble with the price. I don't mind connecting it to my iMac since I leave it on all the time. Now if I'm having iMac issues, then I can see a problem. My iMac is currently at the Apple store so that's why I say that. If it is connected to my iMac, my MacBook Pro would not be able to access it right now.

I've even thought about taking an old PC and making it a file server. I'd like to get away from Windows as the OS but not sure what to do so both my Mac and Windows can access it. If I did that, I would like to have hard drives in a RAID array so they are mirrored. Does anybody recommend doing this? Maybe using Ubuntu Server?

11. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I'm sorry. I should have said Drobo + Droboshare.....

12. GregE thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I've thought more about this and I think I am going to pass on the Drobo for now for 2 reasons. First, price. I'm really having trouble justifying spending that much money. Second, the fact that if I have a problem with the Drobo unit itself, I am SOL until I get it fixed or replaced. If I go with the Guardian Maximus or anything that does RAID 1, I can always take a HDD out and put it in a external enclosure until I get the Maximus fixed. Having 2 of them would even allow me to trade out the drives and get back up quickly.