Drobo S, 5 bays with e-sata

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I have a DroboPro for archive and backup. My client gave me a 4-drive Drobo to edit his weekly shows on, and I capture to that and edit from it. I've only ever had a problem if I was transferring data around AND trying to capture at the same time. I have 3x2TB drives in there, but they are WD Green drives. If I had 7200RPM drives it might not be a problem, but given the dumbed down nature of Drobo's firewire speed, it might be the same thing.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
IMO: Given the vocal complaints about their quality, the company is going to need to focus on quality to help market to the professional market.
I love my Drobo... and I haven't heard these vocal complaints. Maybe I just missed them when I did all of my research before buying it a few months ago. We have a Drobo Pro at work too... it's been humming along for about a year I think.

Only issue I have is that it is a little touchy to set up the first time, but those woes are long behind me. I have read that you can run into file corruption issues if you aren't careful to put it in standby before disconnecting it, but I haven't had any trouble. I'm just careful with it.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
IMO: Given the vocal complaints about their quality, the company is going to need to focus on quality to help market to the professional market.
I'm with NorCalLights. The only buzz I've ever heard about Drobo has been positive. Mine's been in service around two years with zero issues.

It helps me sleep at night.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Definitely get the Drobo S, e-sata would be amazing to have! I only wished I waited a little longer for the Drobo S... None the less it is a pretty little machine that gives me an absolute peace of mind. It is quite amazing when I only have to shove a new hard drive into one of the slots, and the drobo takes it from there. Worth every penny!

I have read some negative reviews as well on the net, things like the drobo isn't as fast as the specifications states, but one thing for sure seems to be the slowness of the droboshare. I was about to buy the $200 droboshare, but after reading piles of bad reviews on its sluggish speed, I'm holding off on my purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.