Drobo S, 5 bays with e-sata

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chiefroastbeef, Nov 24, 2009.

1. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

http://www.drobo.com/products/drobo-s.php

Of course this has to happen a month after I bought the 4 bay drobo with painfully slow fw800... I still love my drobo though... just not as much anymore..

I wonder with the esata if it can be used as a scratch disk for video editing purposes...

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

IMO: Given the vocal complaints about their quality, the company is going to need to focus on quality to help market to the professional market.

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I use a FW800 for scratch disk when I edit video, not a problem really.

4. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah really? I use the drobo just for data storage and backup, as I use two raid 0 drives for Aperture library and FCP scratch disk. Have you ever ran into problems using the drobo as a scratch disk? Perhaps dropped frames or such?

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I have a DroboPro for archive and backup. My client gave me a 4-drive Drobo to edit his weekly shows on, and I capture to that and edit from it. I've only ever had a problem if I was transferring data around AND trying to capture at the same time. I have 3x2TB drives in there, but they are WD Green drives. If I had 7200RPM drives it might not be a problem, but given the dumbed down nature of Drobo's firewire speed, it might be the same thing.

6. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

I love my Drobo... and I haven't heard these vocal complaints. Maybe I just missed them when I did all of my research before buying it a few months ago. We have a Drobo Pro at work too... it's been humming along for about a year I think.

Only issue I have is that it is a little touchy to set up the first time, but those woes are long behind me. I have read that you can run into file corruption issues if you aren't careful to put it in standby before disconnecting it, but I haven't had any trouble. I'm just careful with it.

7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I'm with NorCalLights. The only buzz I've ever heard about Drobo has been positive. Mine's been in service around two years with zero issues.

It helps me sleep at night.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm glad that the two of you have done well, I plan on getting a Drobo in the future. Here is the thread that led to the post above.

Here is a quick tally, I'll make sure to add the two of you.

9. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Definitely get the Drobo S, e-sata would be amazing to have! I only wished I waited a little longer for the Drobo S... None the less it is a pretty little machine that gives me an absolute peace of mind. It is quite amazing when I only have to shove a new hard drive into one of the slots, and the drobo takes it from there. Worth every penny!

I have read some negative reviews as well on the net, things like the drobo isn't as fast as the specifications states, but one thing for sure seems to be the slowness of the droboshare. I was about to buy the $200 droboshare, but after reading piles of bad reviews on its sluggish speed, I'm holding off on my purchase.