Drobo

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by robrose20, Nov 18, 2008.

1. robrose20 macrumors 6502

robrose20

Anyone have any experience with the new Drobo (FW800) on the Mac platform? I want to get a raid type device for data storage and was thinking of getting the Drobo.

Any suggestions for other devices? Thanks!

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The TWiT guys all rave about it - that's enough for me. Don't have the $$$ at the moment though.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

I have the new FireWire 800 Drobo. Everything was going great until it crashed when I was adding a 750GB Seagate hard drive. I have to run DiscWarrior several times in order to get OS X to even recognize the partition. Not very comforting to say the least. Especially when talking about several terabytes of data.

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I have Drobo with 3 1TB Western Digital Drives so far it has worked perfectly.

I would avoid Seagate drives with them, seems a lot of people have problems with them, as mentioned above.

5. frunty macrumors newbie

I bought the enclosure and added some Seagate drives, but the fan in the back of the case failed and one of the drives died (electronic burning smell, really hot). To be fair, customer support got a new one out ASAP, but I now use a 1TB G-Safe RAID enclosure. It's only got two drives, but it fits my needs nicely and gives peace of mind.

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I was also thinking about getting a Drobo. The only con that I've heard about Drobo is if it breaks, the only way to get the data off all of your drives is to get another Drobo.

7. robrose20 thread starter macrumors 6502

robrose20

Any other raid devices people would recommend? How about the buffalo enclosure. I have almost 1 TB of data that is not protected, I am afraid to turn the hard drive on! I want to get something soon but will soon outgrow the 1 TB limit.

Thanks!

8. blodwyn macrumors 65816

An alternative you should consider, is buying an enclosure and configuring it as a vanilla JBOD, with each of the drives being accessible independently. You can then use the OS X Disk Utility to create and manage your mirror setup. I personally would rather trust OS X to handle my mirrored data than an indeterminate piece of RAID firmware in an enclosure.

9. stukdog macrumors 6502

We're looking to store Drobos in our data center soon. Can any Drobo owners give me an idea of power requirements? Specifically, how many Amps to run a Drobo? (I tried writing the Drobo team but haven't heard back yet.

10. detz macrumors 65816

I was sooo close to buying one but I've read too many bad things about them so I've decided to do the backup myself. I just purchased two 1TB drives and I'm going to mirror them...I loose one drive but it's nice to know that everything is backed up.

11. whynot83706 macrumors 6502

whynot83706

I have had a new drobo for few months now and I have had no problems. Everything works like a charm.

12. detz macrumors 65816

I wrote something up in another thread about Drobo but basically it's not worth the money for one if you do the math. If you're willing to spend atleast $700 for a 1TB drobo setup you could buy four 1TB drives and mirror them for cheaper and it would be safer. "Raid 1" Four 1TB drives and you have 2TB of usable storage for under the cost of the Drobo with no drives and in my opinion it's much safer.

13. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I bought a Drobo several months ago and set it up with some disks, all seemed OK. Then I applied the latest firmware update, which bricked the whole thing, sending it into a continuous reboot loop. From looking at the Drobo forums this was a very common outcome from trying to update the firmware. The recommended action was to send the Drobo back for a replacement. I returned the unit the next day for a refund. I won't entrust my data to a product manufacturer who releases updates that are buggy and render the device unusable, even if they do have a good RMA policy. So I set up a RAIDZ ZFS array with 3 disks in a USB enclosure. It's pretty slow due to the USB interface, but it's been solid.

14. DRI macrumors newbie

firewire 800.

I have used the Firewire 800 with my Mac Mini which uses 400 and my Mac Pro with 800. Works well and usinf the new firmware on the support page it was not a problem to set up with 4TB hard drive storage. I am using my Drobo unit with Final Cut for video production and firewire is nice for this. good performance

15. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

16. johnjay1776 macrumors member

Just to be clear here, you mean 3 disks each in a separate USB enclosure, right?

17. krisrulz macrumors newbie

Drobo very slow....

Dear friends, please help me..... When I connect my drobo to the drobo share, I open the network drive and it takes much time to open huge folders with pictures. It has just occupied 400 Gb / 1000 Gb. It works fine with USB but when its in my LAN, its very slow and I also need to set user privileges (Read, Write & Modify) for specific users accessing the drobo in LAN. I am using Mac OsX 10.5. Could you please advice me in this issue.

I have been sending mails regarding this issue to the drobo support team for the past 5-6 months. i get reply from them as follows....

"""""" Thank you for contacting Data Robotics, Inc. - The makers of the multi-award winning Drobo!

Your message is important to us, but our office is currently closed. Thank you in advance for your patience, we will get back to you as soon as possible.

In the meantime, please visit www.drobo.com for additional information about our products and how we are changing the way the world stores and protects it's data.

Sincerely,
    The Data Robotics Team """""""""""""""""""

They are a bunch of useless people... they just want to sell their product... SO i finally came across this forum... Please help me....

Regards,
    Krishna:apple:

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The Drobo looks cool. However, it is expensive for what you get.

Some questions come to mind.

What happens when a Drobo fails?

What happens when you have a HD failure that is more than the Drobo can handle?

19. awmazz macrumors 65816

I don't have the Drobo Share myself so can't help you there sorry. Can you not just set it up as a shared drive connected to one of your Macs using file sharing? At least temporarily until they get back to you with some answers.

I got one when it first came out. Oddly enough I see they have increased in price now by AUD $300. Maybe they're milking the supply/demand, or the retailer just made a mistake in their initial price and I got a bargain. :)

I think in theory you just stick the drives into another Drobo in the same order and away you go again. It's designed to handle one drive failure, how many drives are likely to fail at once?

20. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

The Drobo can actually handle two drive failures if you have enough extra storage space. It has to rebuild after each drive failure, so if another drive fails while the array is being rebuilt, your data can be ruined.
    I use 4x 1TB Seagate 7200RPM drives in my Drobo, so the supposed Seagate problems are bull. Not once had a drive failure and going on 8 months of use.

21. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Does anyone know if Drobo has any plans to release a two drive device? I really don't need 4 bays.

22. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You can use a Drobo with only 2 drives if you want, and add more as you go. A two drive setup is like a mirror RAID.

23. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

The Seagate HDD's did have issues but have since been fixed with a firmware update. Link http://www.drobo.com/support/faqs.php#43 This effected the new 1.5TB Drives.

24. UbuntuFu macrumors regular

I got a Drobo on Amazon with the $50 rebate it came out to be $330 total. Stuck in 4 x 1TB WD Green hard drives for a total of 2.7TB of space and it has been great. before I put in the 1tb green drives I had 2 old 250gb sata drives lying around so I put those in. Had 242 or so gb of space. I threw on 60gb of movies. Threw in 2tb drives then removed 1 of the 250 and it rebuilt the data in about an hour. Then put the final 1tb in. No data loss. Awesome!!

25. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

I was thinking about buying a Drobo myself too but from what i've heard in this thread....