Droid DNA selling question

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by lsutigerfan1976, May 17, 2013.

1. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

I didn't know whether to put this in this discussion or the buy/sell one. I have a droid dna that my gf decides right after the return period she doesn't want it. I was planning on selling it via ebay or whatever. But I want to make sure that Verizon will activate on that person's acct without a problem. I don't have a balance on my account so the ESN should be clean. Do you think the buyer will have a problem activating it? Do I need to actually tell Verizon first that I am planning on selling it? Since I just got the device? My plan is to use the money to buy a tablet and using that line for the tablet. I just want to make sure that any buyer will be able to activate on their line without a problem.

2. durant35 macrumors member

Was the phone on a share plan with your main line or on its own line?

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I think the phone needs to be removed from the plan in order to be activated on a different plan.

4. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

Sure does. I bought a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon with full intentions of keeping my iPhone 5 so I could switch back and forth. Less than a day after I activated the Nexus with a new sim card, someone bought my iPhone 5. They had no problems getting it activated because it was not registered to a number on my account.

5. lsutigerfan1976 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes it is on a share plan. My plan was to buy a tablet that i could use with that line that was added. And that tablet would replace the DNA. Effectively removing the DNA from that line.

6. durant35 macrumors member

Yea, as long as you add the tablet, you should be good to go. Best advice is to meet whoever buys it at a Verizon corporate store and let them handle it.

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

Verizon LTE device do not need any "activation"

As long as it hasn't been reported stolen or bills not paid. Just swap LTE sims in.

Like any gsm device.

8. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I'd recommend using Swappa or Cell Trader Online instead of eBay. Much more protection for the seller than eBay.

9. lsutigerfan1976 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I listed it on eBay this weekend. And have a temp flip phone I will put on that line till I sell the other one. My biggest concern was whether Verizon would think something was up if another person tried to activate the phone I just purchased.

10. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

OP, you don't need to do anything with the phone anymore. VZW moved to a SIM auth. system with their newest devices. All you have to do is pull the SIM and make sure to wipe everything off the phone.

11. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Verizon is a CDMA carrier and I don't think they use SIM cards.

12. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Yes, they do now. Once VZW deployed LTE, they started to use SIMs in LTE devices. They authenticate devices onto the LTE and CDMA networks.

Basically this means that VZW users can now swap phones, like AT&T users have been able to. No need to go to the VZW store, activate ESNs, etc anymore.

13. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Oh now I get what he was saying, not that Verizon is GSM but that you can swap SIMs like GSM carriers have been able to do.

Thanks for clarifying.

14. aneftp macrumors 68040

Actually almost all new verizon higher end phones are duo CDMA/lte and gsm/HSPA compatible. So u can literally switch ur verizon lte sim with any gsm SIM card.

Most verizon lte phones are factory gsm unlocked. I switch from my verizon lte sim to my att sim with my verizon note 2.

15. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I'm on AT&T but when I sell a phone I usually use Craigslist and meet the buyer at an AT&T store so that they can make sure the phone is fully functional on their account. You could try that.