Droid or Blackberry? Verizon

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by obey908, Jan 22, 2010.

1. obey908 macrumors 6502a

Verizon offered me an early upgrade because I am not happy with receiving a refurbished replacement phone for my LG Dare. I am having trouble deciding between a Droid or Blackberry. I like the Droid because of the apps, much better web browsing, and comparable to the iPhone. I like the Blackberry because most of my friends have them, so I can BBM. I also like the fact I will be able to easily text with one hand (minus the storm2).

I have heard the Droid is not too great on battery life, which is a concern. I spend most of my day on campus, so I am not able to charge it whenever I want. It must last through the day, about 9 hours on my 2 long days.

My Choices:
    Blackberry Storm 2 (not really looking for another touchscreen, but has great reviews)
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    Blackberry Curve 8530

Droid Eris by HTC (touchscreen)
    Droid by Motorola

2. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I love my Blackberry, I've had it for several years as well and no major issues.

I'm not one to like touch screen phones. I think my iPod touch is as far as I want to go (unless I were to get some sort of tablet).

3. spacemanps macrumors regular

spacemanps

i have the bb tour... its okay.. esp with verizon, the internet is kind of slow.. my friend has the droid and LOVES it.. id say get the droid if u dont NEED bbm...

im actually looking to sell my blackberry tour because i dont really need it.. and like the google phone..

and just to add, the blackberry batteries arent really that great. I have a 2 hour commute to work eveyr morning and i listen to iheartradio for like 1 hour and 15 min. and then i loose service (nyc train system) for the rest of the 30 min and by the time i get to work the phone only had 2/3 of a battery..

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd cross off the storm, with that click screen thing going. I'm not how that is a good phone. At the very least head over to verizon and try all of them out.

I can't say anything about the battery life, but I'm intrigued by the droid. I'd not drop it off your list so quickly.

Ask about about battery life in the iphone forum. There's a number of droid owners there.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

6. spacemanps macrumors regular

spacemanps

i dont like the eris for its lack of a key board... i feel that when/if i need to write a long email or message it would be nice to have a keyboard..

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Virtual keyboards are pretty good in my opinion. But everyone has different needs and wants.

8. timerollson macrumors 65816

The Storm 2's screen is incredibly better than the first generation. I played with it for a few hours and was considering ditching my Tour for it. I'm a BB user. I honestly don't see myself using any other phone. My work is e-mail heavy and I need a phone that has awesome e-mail capabilities. BBM is another great thing. If I dont want to be bogged down with the 160 character limit on SMS, I'll talk to someone on BBM.

So.... my suggestion is a BB.

9. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I second this nomination. If I was going to have any phone other than the iPhone right now, it'd be the Eris.

10. obey908 thread starter macrumors 6502a

why can't droid have bbm? lol that would solve all my problems

uhh what a tough decision

11. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I have a Droid and LOVE IT. I switched from AT&T and a first-gen iPhone because my family plan was cheaper on Verizon (I get a crazy corp discount).

It's been about a month, and I adore my Droid. It does everything I need, and battery life is fine for me. On an average day I usually am down to 15% around 6-7pm, which is in-line with most smartphones I've used. And it charges wicked fast, so if you have 10 minutes at an outlet you can easily grab a 10% gain in battery life, which can alleviate battery woes.

12. obey908 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I am going with the Blackberry. I have my iPod touch for games and stuff.

Curve 8530 - $30
    vs
    Tour 9640 - $100
    vs
    Storm 2 - $150