Droid Razr VS iPhone 4S Picture Quality Comparison

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EmbraceTheOne, Nov 18, 2011.

1. EmbraceTheOne, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

My Mom got her Droid Razr yesterday. I wanted to test the Camera Picture quality between my 4S, And her Razr. Here we go!

I have not edited ANY photo. These are all raw images.

(Sorry about no side-by-side comparison. :) )

In my own opinion, I like the 4S. It seems to have more color.

Disclamer:
    I am in no way shape or form a photographer. Just trying to get some cool pics. :)

I tried to take the pictures the same way everytime. Some might be a LITTLE different.

Mom's Droid Razr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My iPhone 4S:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, I am in no way shape or form a photographer.

2. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I didn't read your post and scrolled through the pics, I honestly thought the first batch were the iPhone, and the second batch was the RAZR.

3. Chumburro2U macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

I read his post and saw where he wrote his Mom's Razor. I read before I post. Anyways, I thought the iPhone 4S pics looked warmer and had more color than the Razr's. Just my opinion.

4. EmbraceTheOne thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have to disagree on that one. I love the iPhone leaf picture, Along with the tree. The Tree in the Razr has less color.

Both Batch of photo's look incredible, None the less.

5. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

Colors seem a little more saturated on the Razr.

Again as another poster said, the pics are awesome, both that is.

6. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

You sure? I don't think you read my post correctly.

I read before I post too; I read the OP's post before I made my response. I intentionally didn't read the OP's post before seeing the pictures, though. Difference.

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Lemme first state that I'm not much of photographer either, but I'll state my opinion anyway:

Comparing the two pictures of the wire basket, the 4S shot looks so much warmer in color(different time of day or just THAT much more light?) and more in focus, although the two pictures are focused on different things: the RAZR is more focused on the front of the wire basket, while the 4S is more focused on the contents of the basket. I'll also note that the 4S has significantly less background noise and has a sharper look overall compared to the RAZR image.

8. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

On the RAZR the leaves look whiteish, the iPhone they look brownish,

Which one is the right color?

I'm talking about the leaves in pictures 5-8 on the RAZR side.

9. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

10. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

I think both sets of photos look great, beautifully done.

11. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

The pictures from the Razr look good but it can't touch the iPhone 4S - my opinion.

12. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I'm just comparing the "net" like thing picture between the two phones, and I feel like the one from the 4S has more color to it, and just feels more natural. It's clarity is also definitely much better than the Droid. The Razr's pictures are astounding though, just like the iPhone. Definitely gives the iPhone camera some lively competition.

But I'm no photographer either, so I might be just digging myself into a hole here...

13. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Both sets of pictures look great. But in my opinion I like the colors from the 4S alot more.

14. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

The 4S is much better. Anybody say other wise......smh

15. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Phone hardware is getting to the point where additional stats (cpu speed, camera mp, etc) don't make a difference you can feel from most current top phones that are out right now.

Both sets of pictures look amazing and both phones are blazing fast.

Only difference in the future will be on the software (ios vs android) and screen size.

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

(shrugs) both look pretty good to me, and to be honest, most people can't even tell the difference.

17. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I think we're rapidly coming to the point (if we're not already there) where any top end phone's camera can and will replace point and shoot cameras in decent light. Indoors in poor light is where P+S are still much better than phones but I'm sure that will change and IMO in a couple of years the iPhone (and other phones) will decimate the P+S market

18. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

My high end phones have great cameras now a days. Honestly, it's hard to tell a difference. But the bottom pictures look better. The colors are more richer.

19. 7even macrumors 6502a

At first glance both sets of pics look amazing. The 4S pics do seem to be more saturated and warmer. This is probably better for straight-from-the-phone pics, since you can always process the Razr's pics to look similar.

20. Merkie, Nov 18, 2011

Merkie macrumors 68020

Note 1. I don't understand why everyone thinks a camera's quality is about the colors. It's not for me. It's about the noise ratio and the preserved detail. The iPhone beats pretty much every other phone out there on that part, and that is why I love the iPhone camera. Just compare some regular HTC 8MP photo to a 5MP iPhone 4 photo at 100% (1:1), you'll be suprised how much more detail the iPhone photo shows, even though it's "only" 5MP. To me, THAT is where the iPhone really shines. Not about how warm or cool a photo is, whatever, who cares.

Note 2. Stop taking macro pictures! Even awful cameras look great photographing flowers, as long as it's got autofocus to make sure everything is in focus. You've got a gazillion pixels to capture a few square centimeters (inches for you weird Americans). I get the shock and awe effect because a person's eyes aren't that good at close range and at all, but for a camera, photographing a flower in good light is like running the marathon with a Bugatti Veyron. A piece of cake. Even for the really bad cameras.

You know what's a really good (and boring) test? To capture the street. Walk out in NYC, capture Broadway or something. So much is happening, so far away. Try to capture that in those tiny pixels. That is the hard part. That is where cameras can excel. Not in flower photography.

Note 3. A comparison of cameras in 1024x768 is completely USELESS. For every 10 pixels, you're throwing 9 (valuable!) pixels away. This doesn't say anything at all.

21. EmbraceTheOne, Nov 18, 2011

EmbraceTheOne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agreed.

Taken last saturday with my 4S.

Again, I am no photographer. :)

(Took out pictures due to Photobucket Bandwith.

22. Merkie macrumors 68020

See, look at the Times Square pic. So much going on, you don't even have enough pixels to capture it all. That's where the men are seperated from the boys :) . Too bad you don't have them in full size online.

----------

They look really great btw. Especially the first one, that's really hard to handle for a camera (bright sunlight versus shadows).

23. EmbraceTheOne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Completely agree with you though dude! I don't live in New York. So I can't do a comparison. And I dont have my license.

Backyard has got to do. :)

24. EmbraceTheOne thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just got notified from Photobucket I have exceeded 10GB of data. It said my photo's may be disabled. If so, I'll re-upload elseware.

But for now, Everything seems OK.

25. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Please reupload to imgur if you can. No bandwidth issues, plus it's awesome