Droid wireless tethering?! Maybe it is time to switch...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zeos, May 11, 2010.

1. Zeos macrumors 6502

Love my iPhone, but I'll need to carefully consider the Droid next time around. A friend of mine showed how he can create a WiFi hotspot with his droid phone, plus he demo'ed several amazing apps. The iPhone is starting to lose its unique appeal, I suppose largely because AT&T has Apple handcuffed.

2. corriewf macrumors 6502a

What apps? Anyway, the iPhone can do that as well but it requires jailbreaking.

3. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

The Droid has to be rooted to do WiFi tethering, so it's not like it works out of the box.

You can jailbreak your iPhone and get WiFi tethering just as easily.

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

My old HTC Mogul running WinMo 5.0 can be a mobile hotspot too. I'll do an even trade for your iPhone.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

BTW, AT&T doesn't have Apple handcuffed. AT&T couldn't care less about jailbreaking.

6. jbro1999 macrumors regular

I don't have the internet at home. I tether my iPhone to my computer thru wifi to get online. It's much faster than the Verizon air card my work gave me.

7. Akitakoi macrumors regular

Akitakoi

I switched about a week ago, got a HTC Incredible. It's fast and a nice screen, the Verizon network is way faster then AT&T's.

The software works good but it will take some retraining on how to do things.

Simple things can get confusing.

I switched because I could no longer tolerate AT&T.

8. byulasfjazz macrumors regular

byulasfjazz

I have an iPhone 3GS and I do the same thing to my iPad(wifi) at work.... Works just like an iPad 3G.... Tethering the iPhone has been around before droid was even invented.

9. calvy macrumors 65816

Do that on a droid and you're going to be missing a lot of calls while they get forwarded to voicemail because you can't do data and calls at the same time on Verizon.

10. rkswat macrumors regular

Yeah you keep thinking Verizon's network is "way faster than at&t's".... every speed test by people that actually know what their talking about say different.

+1

11. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

People still use phones for talking?

12. shadrap macrumors 6502

Simultaneous voice and data are now available on Sprint using the EVO, they just announced it.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Only if connected to their 4G network though.
    Not regural 3G or 2G.

14. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

What an interesting thread. We should start more of these.

15. DougB541 macrumors 6502a

can we all add bits of info aobut different phones?

The Palm Pre Plus has free wi-fi hotspot for up to 5 devices on verizon.
    :D

16. azsprty macrumors 6502

I'm amazed how fanboys get so pissy. It's like someone just took your pacifier

17. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

knowing the facts and presenting them makes somebody a fanboy?

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    You're thinking of GSM/EDGE. Under CDMA, voice calls have priority so you can choose to answer or not.

There should be a sticky so people don't repeat the same myths all the time.

*chuckle* Oh yeah, at least a dozen a day.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Verizon does not do that. If a call come in it will stop the data and ring the phone.
    That straight to Voice mail issue seem to be more of an iPhone Edge problem because I know my blackberry 8900 will still ring if I am actively downloading something threw edge.

Just like on ATT you only can do both on 3G. On 2G it is either voice or data but not both.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is correct.

21. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

my son was born at tech....and your probably the jerk that wrote me all the parking tickets I never paid!!

I can tether my desktop pc at work with my data cable and at the same time have my netbook on wifi while listening to the radio station on their website (on my desktop) and still talk on my iPhone all at the same time.

and to the guys having trouble with ATT....pay your bill on time!

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Umm I never worked for Traffic and Parking while I was at Tech. The quote in my sig was something I got out of the UD or the Daily Torridor, not sure if they had changed the name back yet when I read it. The Police at tech did not right the parking tickets. That was another deparment. As for parking tickets I had to pay about $100 or so worth over 4 years. I have 1 that was never paid on another car and 2 more that I got dropped.
    Then you are on 3G. Another issue in itself. On 2G (Edge) you can not surf and have voice at the same time. End of story.

23. rkswat macrumors regular

LoL, that's the best you can do? Wow do I feel sorry for you.

I'm simply stating facts, if that makes me a fanboy then I guess I'm a fanboy.

24. unixham macrumors newbie

Out of the box and supported today, the only one to do wifi hotspot is Palm.

I went PrePlus/VZ wifi ipod touch, 95% of iphone greatness is allowed me on the touch AND the pre with webOS adds a bunch of great add ons (synergy is sweet, multi-tasking today), that makes it a huge win for *me*.

Let me venture to say that I am more hopeful for ipad/ipod/iphone OS because of webOS, but it does underscore how the future (as much as this dyed-in-the-wool long time computer guy can stand) is smartphone/app-phone/tablet over desktop/laptop.

25. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The iPhone's lack of tethering is entirely due to AT&T's lack of confidence in their own network capacity. You can jailbreak an iPhone and run tethering over WiFi, Bluetooth, or USB right this second and it works like an absolute charm, so the hardware's not an issue. Blame the carrier.