Droid X and iPhone comparisons

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pravius, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Pravius macrumors regular

There may be posts on this but to be honest I did not find any so please be gentle with me if there is. The questions that I have are for people who have had the Droid X and have made the switch to the iphone.

I am thinking of doing this and if I can sell my Droid I can almost break even.

First let me say I do like the droid simply for the open source factor, however I do plan to jailbreak my iphone. One major reason why I want to switch is because of the seamless syncing between the Iphone and my Macbook Pro. Another reason is streaming Netflix, pretty huge for me because I often am on the road.

So Without writing a novel I am looking for some opinions from people to see some of the pros and cons you have found from either phone and you opinion on the differences between the two.

Thanks for any info!

2. mpossoff macrumors 68020

3. Pravius thread starter macrumors regular

Fair enough, in your opinion what are some pro's and con's and which one do you like better and why?

4. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i just switched from droid x to the iphone and i did it for pretty much the same reason you did, especially the iphone n macbook compatibility factor. i used to think i loved the hack-ability of the DX but i realized i was just pretending to like it because i missed my iphone (i had an iphone 4 on at&t but took it back due to coverage). now im back with my iphone and on an amazing verizon network. do yourself a favor and put your droid on ebay or craigslist!

5. Pravius thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! I have one reserved at the Apple Store for tomorrow the scales are now further tipped in Apple's favor. :)

6. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

thats awesome man! you wont regret it, its just as fast as our droid x's, but with a wonderfully polished iOS. i am thrilled for you lol

7. aohus macrumors 68000

different strokes for different folks.

i went opposite from iPhone to Droid X.

i'd consider myself a tech enthusiast so the Droid X is my best choice for its expanded functionality and ability to undervolt/overclock, and its ability to be highly customizble UI wise.

8. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

the droid x definitely sounds like your kind of phone then. im too afraid to mess with that stuff because i really dont know what im doing, i find that the closed iOS is perfect for my needs

9. mpossoff macrumors 68020

In general iOS is a much much more polished os. Android Droid x is sluggish compared to iOS. I've been carrying both devices lately and I want to like the Droid x but I always resort to my iPhone.

The one thing that I like about the X over the iPhone is screen size however you can't compare screen crispness. Stuff looks like a piece of paper on the iPhone. I thought I would sacrifice size for crispness but again resort back to the iPhone.

10. aohus macrumors 68000

yeah the iPhone is perfect for mainstream users that don't want to bother with the intricacies of the phone. Hopefully Google will amend this issue with Honeycomb and make it even more user friendly.

Taken from previous post I wrote some time ago about the Droid X.

11. zenio macrumors 6502

I have both and choose not to compare. It's the very reason I enjoy both, they're so different. A long time Apple computer user, if I had to choose one it would be the Droid X. Why?

1) Great, clear phone calls
    2) Wonderful 4.3" display
    3) Ultimate compatibility with Mac & PC
    4) Widgets and other efficient tools
    5) Very Customizable.
    6) Great for all kinds of use.

12. tekker macrumors regular

Hold out until the 14th (Best Buy) or 24th (everywhere else). HTC Thunderbolt has 4G, SLCD display (more vibrant colors), and IMO feels more spacious (both Droid X and Thunderbolt are 4.3, but Thunderbolt is wider).

13. icyfire macrumors 6502

I just switched from the Droid X to the iPhone. The first thing that hit me in the face was how incredibly polished and beautiful the iPhone UI and retina display is. There is really no comparison in the market right now. I literally find myself waking up the phone constantly just to see the display, it's that great.

Going from the 4.3 inch Droid X to the 3.5 inch iPhone was definitely a bit uncomfortable at first. However, the high ppi has really helped with readability of text so that I never have to zoom in on text to read it.

As far as customization, Android will always have a leg up, but there is always the option of jailbreaking. I've already jailbroken mine and have installed a few apps (one is called lockinfo and gives you all your calender appts, texts, emails, etc right on the lock screen).

Apps wise, there is no comparison. iOS is leaps and bounds beyond everyone in the industry. The quality of apps in the App Store puts the Android Marketplace to absolute shame. I've installed the Netflix app and have already streamed a couple of TV shows over the past 2 days and it's awesome. Android doesn't have a Netflix app and might never get it due to the lack of security infrastructure in Android. The games on iOS are high quality and very much like games on traditional consoles. Android has very few high end games due to fragmentation preventing developers from making games that work well across the many different Android devices.

14. zenit macrumors member

I am a long time Android user, have owned every higher end Android phone on Verizon (Droid 1, HTC Incredible, Samsung Fascinate, Droid 2). My wife currently uses a Droid X. I just got the iPhone on Monday.

I will try to write a semi-thorough comparison report after I use the iPhone for at least a week. So far I find that both platforms have their advantages, and both have things that are absolutely infuriating in day to day use.

15. -MRB macrumors 6502

I am hoping to switch to Andriod this year. I have owned every iPhone released. And thus now, it feels extremely out dated, tired, and boring.

Don't get me wrong, they are great phones. I just like change :)

Roll on the Motorola Atrix!

16. mpossoff macrumors 68020

The X screen is longer than the iPhone but doesn't seem wider.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a droidx x and affirm the list above, but there are things I don't like about the droidx

1) Motorola is incredibly slow in providing updates - froyo was out in May, the DX didn't see the upgrade until the last day of September, then we had to wait until December for the bug fix, and there were a number of frustrating bugs. It took them 5 months to release a buggy os?

2)Lack of a great app to sync my music, yeah I could sync it manually but the iPhone/iTunes does a great job. There's doubletwist but I found that slow and never really synced all of my music (even though it said it did). I used. I'm currently using salling media sync which is ok

3)music player is by far the worst out there

4)wifi never works well

I guess I'm too integrated into the apple ecosystem as I find that the integration between my music/address book/ical/bookmarks/email to be much better with the iphone then with the droidx.

18. Pravius thread starter macrumors regular

I am looking forward to this :)