Droid X Defective Screens

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lw9090, Jul 20, 2010.

1. lw9090 macrumors regular

I wonder if this will be on World news like the yellow blotches on the iPhone 4.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/19/some-droid-x-handsets-have-defective-screens-video/

All's not well in Creepy Red Eye land, if reports out of several cell phone forums can be believed -- a number of early Droid X adopters are documenting serious graphical or possibly electrical problems with the handset's giant screen. While we don't know how widespread the issue might be quite yet, symptoms include rapid flickering and vertical banding over all or part of the 4.3-inch LCD. Several forumites claim to have already had their phones replaced, in some cases being told the defect was a common problem in their respective launch day batches. We've contacted Verizon for confirmation and hope to have a response soon; in the meanwhile, see video examples of both issues after the break, and let us know if you've seen similar glitches in comments below.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Slight difference, no? There's a difference between a bad batch of phones which is a known issue vs Apple's "antennagate" where Job said there was no issue and that the solution isn't just to replace the first batch of phones. Those affected by Droid's problem are finite.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yike,
    so far my DX is been defect free (knocks on wood). I've not seen any posts/threads on the various android/droid forums I frequent as well.

Not to say that isn't a problem, looks like it was a bad batch of displays and that being the case. I'm assuming that verizon will replace the defective phone as they normally would.

4. lw9090 thread starter macrumors regular

Was comparing to the yellow blotches on the iphone not the antenna.

5. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

This is an Apple message board and why not concentrate and discuss iPhone 4 countless defects?

6. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

Because everyone has bitched so long and hard about "Apple's countless defects" it's time to do the right thing and talk about the android's less than perfect record. Hmmmm, Evo screens falling out? How come that isn't getting mega air time?

7. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

It only feels like there are an infinite number of moaning threads you know. :D

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Fair I suppose. But who really cares unless you own one or were thinking of getting one.

Yes - Apple got hit hard in the media. You could liken it to how when there are 10 people speeding but YOU get pulled over. You can't really use the excuse "but so were nine other people." Doesn't matter. You're the one that got caught.

Fair or not - it's not like Apple was innocent. And the fact that the press doesn't hang onto the story of other people, fair or not, is just how it is.

ETA: Also - as I said - the press might not eat up these stories because the problem is finite and Motorola isn't denying the issue, emailing people to try viewing the screen differently, etc. There's an issue and it's being resolved or can be resolved with a simple exchange. It's really a completely different "beast" and a non issue for the press.

Every product has some defective units. Now - if the screen issue goes beyond that and there's a design flaw and screens go out beyond the first batch or for a long time - it will hit the media. Until then, it's like any other product.

It might just sting a little more because you like Apple...

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple has long been the media darling, basking in positive press for years. The problem they're facing now that most android phones are not, is their attitude.

Do you think the moto CEO would email a user complaining, stating its not a problem, you're holding it wrong? They dug themselves into their own pit with their coy remarks and arrogant attitude.

People love to root for the underdog and that was apple for a long time, so they glossed over the arrogance that the CEO/corporation exhibited. Now they're a dominant player and that arrogance is setting people off, including the press.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

I agree 100 percent.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    It all depends on how Motorola handles the situation.

Apple never acknowledged the blotches, as far as I remember.

It took an anonymous post from someone, who said they helped sell Apple the bonding agent, to start calming everyone down.

Avoiding acknowledging a problem and/or taking responsibility for it, is what causes PR damage... not the problem itself, which can usually be fixed.

12. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Then there's the fact that:
    1. The Droid X is ONE of about two-dozen android phones
    2. Motorola manufactures the hardware, not Google/Android... so a hardware defect like a busted screen has nothing to with the operating system that phone is running.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, but so far, in all of the android forums/news sites I frequent which is not many (5 of them) I've yet to see any posts, save for the ones I created. I'm not diminishing the problem, but I am questioning how wide spread it may be when some of the more popular android forums don't have people complaining about this.

To be honest, it may be just a bad batch, which moto will replace

14. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

What we really need is a thread about the defects of the Cuisinart blender. Seriously, who gives a fork about the flippin droid? It's one in a sea of phones. This is an iPhone forum. Take your dumb links to howardforums.com.

15. cecoleman macrumors regular

This is the perfect example of double standards. Its the expectations that serve as the difference. Apple products are like BMW's and Mercedes cars, when there is anything less than perfect, its big news. But when a Ford Taurus has issues I think everyone just expects it, so its not big news.

16. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I read about this.... My mom is picking hers up today. I'll be sure to do a full review and VS test between the two and post it up...

17. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

18. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

19. Phokus macrumors regular

a small batch of droid x's have defects which you can just go to a verizon store to switch out.

the iphone has a bad DESIGN and steve jobs is unwilling to fix it ("take your free case and shut up you jerks!" :p)

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Don't forget the proximity sensor, yellow screens, green blotches and uneven lighting(dim on one side) as well. So yeah a small subset of DX phones appear to be defective, but at least that can be easily resolved by replacing the phone. Not so with the poorly designed antenna and who knows when apple will finally resolve the proximity sensor.

That is really driving my wife up a wall, as it interfere's with her ability to make a call.

21. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

I really hope that this isn't the start of fan-boys posting over every single defect that every single Android phone ( ~24 different models) have.

Kind of defeats the purpose of having an iphone forum, does it not?

22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

True, while you are trying to correlate similar issues - iP4 v Droid X screen issues, keep in mind that many MR participants have no use for that type of logic and prefer to just type the rant of their choosing with no real connection to your stated point.

23. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Surely you can understand the difference in reporting news on the world's most popular phone versus reporting on the Droid X. Which one do you think is going to get the most people to tune in? And why do people still believe that the primary goal of a news broadcast is anything other than getting the most eyeballs?

24. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne