Droid's Defenses Makes Jailbreaking Look Easy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Axemantitan, Aug 22, 2010.

1. chembox macrumors 6502a

Yikes. It's as if we can't even OWN the phone anymore.

But I can't see Motorola doing this, as they'll have hundreds of phones to fix every week.

2. terraphantm macrumors 68040

From what i've read, the bricking thing was FUD. All that happens is if an attempt to load an unauthorized ROM is detected, the phone enters its recovery mode. At this point, one can load a factory ROM, and the phone will be functional again. Kind of similar to tethered jailbreaks actually, except they don't have the means to send a command that will force the boot.

3. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

yeah yeah, but you forgot to say, that the Android Droid OS is not as locked down as iphone 4, with the droid you can theme/customize your device without jailbreaking, you can install non android market apps with out jailbreaking and you can change just about everything in the OS without jailbreaking.

so there is not much need to jailbreak the droid useless you want to overclock the device

4. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

5. Axemantitan thread starter macrumors 6502

If you want to nitpick, it is 38 days old, which is 1.27 months, but who's counting? Are you really trying to say an article 38 days old is out-of-date? What really is your point?

6. Axemantitan thread starter macrumors 6502

And the article makes a point of saying that it is Motorola, not Google which is doing this.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No, just that if you visit the Droid X forums you'd know that this is a non-issue pretty much.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-x-root-achieved
    July 22nd ...

Sensational thread titles are sensational.

8. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Wow that is extreme, but I guess most of the things we aim to get by jailbreaking they have. But what could they possibly gain from "rooting". Android is so open, I have to jailbreak to get mifi but my freind has a droid and he gets a simmilar app for free. I think apple wouldent do this sort of thing, it drives some business and I bet the iOS will get better as the years go by.

9. Axemantitan thread starter macrumors 6502

And redundancy is neither witty nor clever, no matter how popular it is among Generation Y.

10. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

And again............
    the Android Droid OS is not as locked down as iphone 4, with the droid you can theme/customize your device without jailbreaking, you can install non android market apps with out jailbreaking and you can change just about everything in the OS without jailbreaking.

so there is not much need to jailbreak the droid useless you want to overclock the device

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh I'm plenty witty and clever ... most likely because I'm not a gen y'er. ;) Any excuse for your redundancy?

12. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

Looks like a mild case of troll thread backfire

13. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Rooting the Droid X is as easy as the iPhone now. Just d/l a program, click Root Me, and toggle the bluetooth widget. While it is true that Android allows a lot more freedom than iOS out the box rooting does have some nice benefits. The carriers lock down the wireless/wired tethering. Rooting allows a free third party app to be installed which provides the functionality. Rooting can also lead to gaining access to more protected files that define the overall look and feel as well as the possibility of changing the entire operating system. While the bootloader on the Droid X is locked down (the FUD that the OP linked to) individuals have found another way to load different variations of Android onto the device.

14. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

15. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Im counting, and its actually 1.288 months old so check your math next time before your correct others.

16. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Actually, 38 days is 1.23 months old because both July and August are 31 days long.

17. aohus macrumors 68000

this is old news. and eFuse means nothing. DX has been rooted. Custom ROM's are a go in a couple days.

Loving my droid x with flash enabled + 720p recording + 8MP camera

image of my DX home setup rooted with 2.2 froyo.
    [​IMG]

18. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

We're saying you're 38 days late, that's all....
    Well played..
    Works for the Department of Redundancy Department.. ;)
    Quoted for redundancy :D
    Pwnt... :D :D :D

19. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I wonder how many people have moved to the iPhone instead of Android and why, and how many people have left Adnroid becuase of what Motorola is doing, BC HTC is not doing this from I can read, it is only Motorola and they lost customers.