Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cypersnap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Hello,

Is there any application on iphone like DroidWall on Android ? Because I have a limited Data Plan and I want let only some messaging application (Beejive, ebuddy etc...) to use my Data Plan when I am in the exterior and block all other app to use my data plan, but when I am on WIFI, i want to let every app connecte to internet with WIFI.

I searched hard but i cant find an Droidwall's alternative for iPhone.

Everyone have an solution for my problem ? i tried Firewall IP but it is not exactly what I want. :confused::(

Thank you

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Hello,

Is there any application on iphone like DroidWall on Android ? Because I have a limited Data Plan and I want let only some messaging application (Beejive, ebuddy etc...) to use my Data Plan when I am in the exterior and block all other app to use my data plan, but when I am on WIFI, i want to let every app connecte to internet with WIFI.

I searched hard but i cant find an Droidwall's alternative for iPhone.

Everyone have an solution for my problem ? i tried Firewall IP but it is not exactly what I want. :confused::(

Thank you

Why dont you just turn off cellular data when on wifi? Get SbSettings, and then you can pull down the control panel from anywhere. Tap on Data to turn cellular data on/off. Now you are 100% sure cell data is not being used, although i dont think there was much of a chance it was in the first place. The iPhone is pretty smart.

cypersnap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
If i deactivate Data completely, my messaging (working on data plan) will stop working, and its the only app i want to allow for using data

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
Why dont you just not use other applications when you're not on wifi? iOS multitasking is such that you don't really have to worry much about things running and sucking up data in the background.

HarryDevlin

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
Saratoga, CA
The lack of an equivalent app to Droidwall is a real annoyance if you're using an iPhone on a prepaid service with no data plan, or with a low-usage data plan. You can quickly use up significant amounts of data from stealth apps that are pushing ads back to the phone. You don't want to turn off mobile data completely, you just want to specify which apps are allowed to use mobile data, which can only use Wi-Fi, and which can't use data at all.

As far as I can tell, there isn't even such an app for jailbroken iPhones.

No doubt the carriers don't like the idea of the user being able to control data usage. Even on Android, only rooted devices can run Droidwall.

Ogrillion

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
ip firewall

Try firewall IP, its not free but you can block connections for any application. You can alway all connections or just certain ones.

And also the feature you probably want is you can enable something only over wifi. I have a prepaid plan as well and limit like pandora / slacker to wifi only, seems to work ok.

Ogrillion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.