Drop another HD in MP to run only windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ronweathers, May 25, 2010.

1. ronweathers macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7E18)

Can this be done? Drop another HD in a MP, load windows 7, and run it like a pc?

2. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Wouldn't you still need Bootcamp to be able to boot into the Spawn of Redmond?

I had Windows on a second drive a while ago and as I remember it Bootcamp had no problem finding Windows on the second drive. However getting back into OSX was a bit more difficult. My understanding is that the Bootcamp assistant doesn't play well when OSX and Windows are on separate drives. If your in WIndows and try using the Bootcamp assistant to get back into OSX it will tell you it can not find the OSX volume (this is not a problem if both OS's are on the same drive. The work around is to restart the MP while holding down the Option key and then select the OS you want.

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

No. I didn't use Boot Camp at all when I installed Windows 7. All Boot Camp does is let you partition a drive or format it. After that, it's done and has no affect on anything.

Just go to System Preferences and set OS X as the boot OS, and you'll never have to worry about it. It's a lot more simple than your post makes it out to be. ;)

4. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I though you needed Bootcamp for the drivers

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you can also download them externally, but BootCamp Installer.app makes it easy to burn them onto a singular CD :)

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Nope. I simply used Windows itself to download any drivers I needed.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

You run the setup.exe file, but it's not actually Boot Camp itself. And as mentioned, there's other ways to do it as well.

In the case of Windows 7, just run Windows Update, and it finds the latest drivers for you in most cases (there may be exceptions for some 3rd party hardware, which I find tends to occur with RAID drivers).