Drop Box for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by luvskot, Aug 2, 2012.

1. luvskot macrumors newbie

I say this in every post I make, but I'm new to Macs. On my PC's I used Skydrive to sync my files. It worked fantastically between my computers. My documents were nearly instantly available between my two PC's. As a writer, that's invaluable.

When I got my MBP, I download Skydrive for Mac and used it with a PC but it didn't work nearly as well as it had. That's understandable, considering Skydrive is a Microsoft product. Now, I'm using Skydrive to sync my MBP with my MBA and it just doesn't work well.

So now I'm looking for other options. iCloud isn't quite what I need, so I'm considering Drop Box. Has anyone used it? How does it work on Macs?

2. DarkLightA, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012

DarkLightA macrumors newbie

Dropbox works excellently, actually. You get a folder in finder where you can copy your files to and it syncs automatically.

3. lpeedin macrumors regular

I use DropBox between my Windows desktop, Windows laptop, MBP, & iPhone. Love it.

4. luvskot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, guys. That's what I wanted to hear. I may try it out this evening. :D

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

I will second that - Dropbox works really well. If you end up referring other people to Dropbox they will increase your free space - however, do read their page about adding friends. There is a sequence of steps that will get you your free space automatically, and there is a sequence where you have ask for support to add your free space. They'll do it, but it's just a some extra work.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Dropbox is a great tool. I use it daily to sync/transfer files between computers and iPhones. There are many ways to increase your available space at no cost.

7. luvskot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I installed it on both my Pro and Air and so far it's awesome! Works as well as Skydrive did on my PC's. I have lot's of reading to do, and I'll definitely read the page about adding friends. Thanks for all the advice!

8. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I've also been using Dropbox for quite a while, and like it. I have however encountered a few problems as my box has grown to many folders and nested folders. (Files not showing up, not syncing etc.) Lately I've been using SugarSync as well, and so far no problems. I plan to use both for a while now to compare.

It's important to remember that Dropbox isn't a backup, it's simply a syncing tool.

9. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

it's awesome. i have a free account which is 25gb at the moment and pro 100gb account for work. best thing is, with a simple hack, i have both of them running at the same time. ;)

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I have both installed. Used Dropbox for a long time but now tried out skydrive on OSX too because of I tried it on Win8.
    I don't see much of a big difference. In ML finder integration seems broken for either. It is pretty much the same thing.

I don't know if it is just me but I cannot find the "Copy link" option anywhere anymore.
    Syncing and stuff works just fine but I frequently share public folders with other people and quickly getting the public link that allows others to access the folder in browsers or their own dropbox/skydrive is kind of useful too.
    Anybody knows where it is gone.
    Basically the context menu is simply missing in finder. Since I installed skydrive after ML it should be there if there is one. Maybe dropbox was broken in the upgrade process.

11. luvskot thread starter macrumors newbie

For me, Skydrive never worked as well on my Mac as on the PC. There were no indications on when the files were synced on the Mac, which left me in the dark until I actually opened the file. Sometimes they didn't sync at all.

After a recent update to Skydrive, things went downhill from there. I got into some kind of update loop that never ended. It was tremendously annoying and files were updated only half the time.

I've only used Dropbox for a day, but so far I love it. I get a message that tells me how many files have been added or modified each time I boot up my computer or wake it from sleep. The information is available as soon as an internet connection is established.

What's interesting is, I had a hard time getting Skydrive off my Mac. I couldn't drag it to the trash. I confirmed that I was signed out of Skydrive and tried again to remove it from the Finder, but no luck. I finally went to the Downloads file and found THREE different Skydrive files. THREE! Eventually I was able to move them to the trash. What a headache.

12. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Don't you have that neat little skydrive icon that if clicked tells you exactly how old the last edit is?
    For me everything works but for getting links I need to go into the web interface which is really an annoying hassle.
    I hope they fix that. Both of them. Right know I don't need it often enough to really care but still that is a feature that should be accessible through a context menu. Webinterfaces are tedious to reach and slow to work with.

PS I actually thought that iCloud would offer the same thing. Was one of the reasons to upgrade to ML. I thought iCloud simply expected that iCloud was a whole lot more than it is. With good integration and so on. I should have checked and tried the ML preview. iCloud was a disappointment on the whole range even for Mail, contact, cal syncs it wasn't really much better than my previous google base approach. Almost the same limitations.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Try downloading the latest version of DropBox from the DropBox site
    That should fix your context menu