drop down menu issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tildesley, Jan 8, 2009.

1. tildesley macrumors regular

hey people,

ive been a windows user all my life and have recently brought a macbook, yay me.

dont laugh at me ok, but im having an issue selecting a file, in windows you right click a file and it opens up a drop bar/side bar so you can select what action to take, be it open, open with,
    is this possible in leopard and how?
    the only way I've found so far is to select it and the top of the screen using finder's top bar. i believe i have seen it done but honestly for the life of me I can not figure it out.

once again apologies if i sound like a complete idiot

thanks for the replies if you can help

JT

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

To open a contextual menu (like a "right-click" in Windows) you have a few options -

- hold down the "Control" key as you click (works with mouse or the trackpad)

- if you are using a mouse you may have to go to Apple menu (top left), then system preferences, then to keyboard and mouse, and make sure that the "secondary button" is set. Like this -
    [​IMG]

- if you are using a trackpad, you can go to System Preferences, then Trackpad, and enable a "2 fingers on trackpad + click = right click function." Like this -
    [​IMG]

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Or you can select the file and go up to the File menu. Right-clicking is the easiest way to go, though. :cool:

4. tildesley thread starter macrumors regular

thank you thank you thank you, my life just got a lot easier