Drop Down Menu Mystery

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rboeche, Oct 3, 2011.

1. rboeche macrumors newbie

I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.8, on an iMac with 4G RAM.

After over 25 years of Mac use, I just had to replace my hard drive.

I restored from Time Machine, and suddenly discovered that several choices in my Finder drop down menus have "adopted" new names.

Empty Trash is now A3. Secure Empty Trash now calls itself A3.1. Cut is now ME1.

I've reinstalled the system software, and the problem is still there.

Any ideas?

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Try deleting /youruser/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Finder.plist and reboot.

3. rboeche thread starter macrumors newbie

No Luck

thanks, bizzle.

I'd tried that already with no luck, but repeated the process anyway, and no change.

I'm really baffled by this one.

4. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Make a new user account and tell us if the same thing happens.

5. huffdesign macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. I have not restored from time machine. The issue seems to keep expanding to new menu items as well. Now, my sidebar lists my hard drive as SDS, my time machine SD6, and sidebar items SD8. My label menu LB1, cut and copy menus as ME (numbers). My command click menu has numbers in place of items as well. I keep finding new things changing. I can not find the problem.

6. rboeche thread starter macrumors newbie

Drop Down Menu Mystery

Bizzle, you hit this one on the head.

New account shows the menu as it should be. Now here's a stupid question after so many years on a Mac: how do I get rid of the old account so my desktop shows up intact in the new account?

7. rboeche thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved!

That took care of the problem, bizzle.

Many, many thanks, and I figured out how to move from one account to the next.

I appreciate it!

8. Elbert C macrumors 6502

Nevermind.

9. rboeche thread starter macrumors newbie

Appreciate the help (and the thought)!

Thanks anyway, Elbert!

10. debutAK macrumors newbie

Solution please, not a work around

Hey there...
    I too am experiencing the same issue - just showed up a few days ago. Also tried a system re-install, but no luck. The problem is clearly embedded within my User settings, as another user account on my machine is fine.

However, I'm looking for a solution, not a work around. I don't want to have to create a new user account.

Through some web research, I have learned about the "LocalizableCore.strings" file within the System folder. This is the file that codes the text labels for the Finder and SideBar commands. IE: "Empty Trash" instead of "A3". However, this file is seemingly okay, as the second User account is using it correctly.

So my guess is that the problem lies somewhere within my main User account, and with whatever file that points to this LocalizableCore.strings file. But at this point, I'm stumped.

Can anyone offer some help to fix the problem?