Drop-in Discs System Locked?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by northy124, Mar 8, 2013.

1. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Hello,

I was wondering if drop-in discs are restricted to the Mac they came with like the grey discs are as I lost my drop-in disc and I recently had my MacBook repaired and the idiots put the wrong OS on the laptop so I am faced with either buying it again or using a drop-in disc from my family.

Are they system locked or can I use one persons drop-in disc on my MacBook?

Cheers

2. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

The grey disks are locked to the model of Mac they come with. So if you have a family member with the same model of MacBook you have they should work. If you don't you'll have to buy a new disk.

3. northy124 thread starter macrumors 68020

northy124

I don't think I was clear, I know the grey discs are restricted but the OS X upgrade drop-in discs, are they like the grey discs which are locked or are they free to be used on any Mac?

4. benwiggy, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

benwiggy macrumors 68020

There were some OS installers that were upgrades only, so they required an existing earlier version to be present. Is that what you mean?

Well, either it will install and work, or it will not allow it (generally speaking), so you will do no harm by trying.

What model of MacBook; what OS version(s)? Whatever you have, you should make sure that you do have some means of installing the OS if necessary, even if that means buying a new disk or download.

Also, if someone performed a repair that was unsatisfactory, your first call should be to them.

5. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

What OS disk is it? If its a normal upgrade disk it should work as long as you meet the necessary requirements. I'm pretty sure you need Leopard installed already to go up to snow leopard, but I'm not sure about any other upgrades. Try it out though. If it doesn't meet requirements it'll tell you.