Drop my macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lionheart619, Jan 7, 2012.

1. lionheart619 macrumors member

It slid off the side of my bed with its cooled under it, I assume it slide sideways as it fell and landed either on the side of itself or on the top of itself closed, because when I figured out what the thud was it was on its face closed battery pack up toward the ceiling, it was closed before falling. Anyways, it was like a 3 ft drop and landed on carpet, should I be worried about any internal damage? Any way to know if anything is damaged? Thanks.

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

It doesn't seem like it sustained any damage (thankfully), but I would be worried about the hard drive. (It is a cheap fix if anything, as long as you have everything backed up)

3. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

3 feet on carpet is nothing...I have dropped my PC laptop (GATEWAY, very cheaply built) multiple times and it never took any damage from that distance (though the nasty 5 feet to linoleum finished its power input off)

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Don't worry about the internals, they are well protected. If there is no visible damage on the Aluminum case, you're fine.

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Sounds like you're very lucky. In lieu of a crash onto hardwood flooring, chances are very good you've escaped quite nicely.

6. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I don't know if it would have kicked in within a 3 foot fall, but you may take comfort from knowing that your MacBook Pro is equipped with an SMS (Sudden Motion Sensor). This sensor detects sudden acceleration and subsequently disengages the disk drive heads from the disk drive platter to prevent data loss and reduce the risk of damage to the drive.

7. lionheart619 thread starter macrumors member

I order a hardshell case for my macbook pro, is it good idea?

8. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

It will only help with preventing damage on a harder floor, carpet tends to be pretty forgiving. I dropped my MBP onto carpet last week too, instead of buying a tacky looking case, I've just decided to take even greater care using it.

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

If you plan on dropping it more often, then yes, it's probably a good idea.