Drop Proof screen protectors

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by kaushik07, Jul 31, 2013.

1. kaushik07 macrumors newbie

Currently i am using a Otterbox defender for my Iphone 4s, before this i used the Griffin Survivor .
    No issues with both the cover but they are too bulky so finally i have decided not to use any case for my iphone . still to be relax on the back of my mind i am looking for a screen guard which is Drop proof and dont shatter / break the display screen from normal drops etc

reviewed few guards online

Zagg invisible shield Extreme http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-iphone-4-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

Rhino shield http://www.evolutivelabs.com/

Buff Armor http://www.buffarmor.com/product/shipped-software-package/

Amzer Shatterproof - ( i called them up and they said they are not sure about the protection to the screen from drop. ) http://www.amzer.co.in/Amzer-ShatterProof-Screen-Protector-Full-Body-Coverage-P94903.htm

can any one / user can guide me through this.
    i need something which provide me protection from drops etc .
    thankyou

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Screen protectors do not offer impact protection. Wrong tool for the job. It's the case that can potentially offer drop protection and that comes with the cost of bulk. You have to decide whether eliminating bulk or drop protection is the bigger priority.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You need an Otterbox.

Really the Apple bumper does a fantastic job for the 4/4S

4. HiRisk macrumors 6502

The phone has glass. It can shatter regardless of what screen protector you use on the phone.

5. kaushik07 thread starter macrumors newbie

So what about the claims made by these screen guards .

is it all about the luck ?

6. scott99 macrumors 6502a

It would be an interesting test to see someone drop a phone using these screen guards, on a sharp rock or something, to see how they hold up.

7. kaushik07 thread starter macrumors newbie

But i guess by now some of the Users using these screen guards might have dropped their phone ( accidently ) many a times

any one to share their experience .??

8. GRMM macrumors member

I bought an Otterbox Commuter Series and it came with a screen protector that is really good, easy to apply. I put it and it was perfect, no bubbles, nothing.

Today I bought a Zagg Invisible Shield HD for my mom's iPhone 5 and put it. Full of microbubbles. Really disappointed with the quality of the Zagg.

9. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

I still think the best drop proof case is the original packaging .... and it's FREE!

10. kaushik07 thread starter macrumors newbie

but what i have heard is that if we have a screen protector or the glass protector then the entire impact of drop is transferred to the very thing on the screen. in this case to the screen protector minimizing the impact on the screen . hence the screen protector breaks but not the screen.

the buff armor is looking promising (after reading the reviews at amazon , any user here ? )

11. dwong221 macrumors newbie

The best thing for protection on the phones screen is to get a tempered glass screen protector such as the spigen glas. t. When the screen protector hits the floor it takes all of the impact and leaves the original screen perfect. Look up drop tests and youll see why it is soo good.

12. iMerik macrumors 6502

Sounds legit.

13. kaushik07 thread starter macrumors newbie

the problem is

at my place i am unable to find the spigen Glass t.
    though there are few not so costly chinese glass protectors to be found.

at one point i thought of using the Spigen neo hybrid case / spigen slim armor case + a buff ultimate armor front screen guard .http://www.ebay.in/itm/Genuine-Original-Buff-Ultimate-Shock-Proof-Screen-Guard-Protector-For-Iphone-4S-/261224193568?pt=IN_Mobile_Accessories&hash=item3cd22cde20&_uhb=1#ht_6191wt_1232

how does it sound ?

14. iKaushal macrumors 6502

iKaushal

Just do a simple search on ebay.com and not ebay.in

Search for glas.t iphone 4

U will find plenty of spigen glas.t vendors

15. kaushik07 thread starter macrumors newbie

the problem with ebay.com or amazon.com is the shipping is not free and sometimes i end up paying almost 50% of the product for shipping.

are those chinese cheap glass protectors are worth ?

16. iKaushal macrumors 6502

iKaushal

Chinese are good...but only if u are lucky. Hehe. So it's a gamble.

In my opinion...when spend so much for a phone...it's sensible to spend a little more for glas.t and shipping also.

17. emon878 macrumors member

Actually some do: http://youtu.be/Achho4APAvg

18. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

I'd even argue that it only shattered at 6ft because they kept taking the protector off. The adhesion of the film to the glass is a big part of what keeps it together. Peel it back 3-4 times and it's not stuck as well, so it's basically like just sitting a loose film atop it.