Drop protection basic hard cases?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Mcdonut, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Mcdonut macrumors newbie

My first iPhone (blue 16G 5c) should be here by Tuesday. I am notoriously clumsy and want to makes sure I have a decent case for my new phone.

I was hoping to avoid a bulky case as I love the look and feel of the phone without a big case. My plan was to get an excellent screen protector and then a basic hard plastic case.
    (This one, once the 5C version is out. http://www.redbubble.com/people/kevinlartees/works/9553667-doctor-who-inspired-tardis-iphone-5-cover )

Would that work to keep my phone protected? I do plan on purchasing Apple Care + before the 30 days is up.

2. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

Basic snap on hard cases don't provide a whole lot of drop protection, you can get a good hybrid 2 piece case that's not overly thick.

3. Mcdonut thread starter macrumors newbie

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You have to decide where you're willing to compromise. Better impact protection generally comes with more bulk. The case you've linked to will offer very little, if any, impact protection. You might want to look into more flexible materials as stiffer materials tend to just transfer the impact energy.

TPU's a better material for impact protection.

5. Mcdonut thread starter macrumors newbie

Would a hybrid be a better option than just TPU? There is a Hybrid (TPU or silocon with a hard shell as well) that isn't released yet in the design I want for a 5c.

I do plan on getting Apple Care + and once the 2 years are up, if I still have this phone, getting an otterbox because I am a bit of a klutz. :rolleyes:

----------

Something like this hybrid case?

http://www.amazon.com/Tardis-Doctor-iPhone-protection-rubber/dp/B00BBFDU2S/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

Sorry! I am new to all of this and I don't want to break my phone as soon as I get it. :rolleyes: Thank ya'll for the help!

6. Mcdonut thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for y'all's help. I think I have decided to get a clear case (speck gemshell, survivor clear, or griffin reveal) and a skin for the back that I like. :)