Drop the DVD Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BWhaler, Mar 14, 2010.

1. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

With more and more content being downloaded, we don't really burn CD's and DVD's anymore, it seems like the DVD drive is really becoming a one-time tool to install software.

It seems odd to lug around a component that gets so little use.

(yes, I am sure some people need the drive daily, but that must be the exception at this point.)

I wonder if Apple will drop the drives in the next revision? More room for a bigger battery? Less weight? Thinner?

If not in 2010, it'll happen sooner or later, I guess.

2. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I wouldn't mind at all. It would be nice though if they provided an external optical drive for OS and program installations.

3. alexh123drum macrumors member

Doubt the MBP will ever drop the slot drive. The MBA however obviously never came with one.

4. andyone macrumors member

Add BluRay support or drop the optical drive, anything else doesn't really make sense for what is supposed to be a top of the line notebook in 2010.

5. Silencer macrumors member

Silencer

I would like to keep the optical drive. Its useful for installing/burning/watching media. The macbook air is there (not powerful compared to the MBP) for those that do not want moving parts.

It would be interesting to see what changes will be made to the Air in the next refresh.

I deal with netbooks at work and find it awkward to install software using a external dvd drive.