Dropbox & Adobe CS 5.5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MarketingGuy, May 7, 2012.

1. MarketingGuy macrumors member

I've been searching for an answer to this question and haven't been able to find anything, so I thought I would open this up to the MacRumors community. I own a small marketing agency and we have several designers using Adobe CS 5.5. Our design team is not in one location, so we often share files using our server or various methods. I have been very happy with Dropbox for sharing with clients and was thinking about a way to ensure that all the files we are working on are always available.

So, here is what I wanted to know. I know that it is possible to create projects locally on the drive and then drag into the Dropbox folder for sync after someone is complete. But, this process requires someone to remember to drag it to the folder. Would it be possible to have designers creating new projects in their Dropbox folder? Basically, the Dropbox folder on their computers would be where everyone works and creates their projects. I'm concerned about Dropbox not being able to handle changes as they are being made. Note, we wouldn't have 2 people access the same files at the same time. We would use this system to allow one designer to pick up where another designer left off, for days when someone is out of the office or at night in case of a client emergency.

Thanks in advanced for sharing your thoughts or experiences with this!

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Dropbox will handle what you want just fine. I create and save InDesign projects directly in my Dropbox directory all the time. You'll just have to take precautions to prevent multiple users from using the same file at the same time.

3. MarketingGuy thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for sharing your experience -- this is exactly what I want to do!