Dropbox alternative?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thriii, Dec 28, 2011.

1. thriii macrumors 6502

Hello! I have 3 computers, a mac pro, macbook pro, and a macbook air.

The macbook pro syncs personal info to the mac pro through dropbox, and I do my work on my mac pro and macbook air.. I would like to sync my web development folders through dropbox between my mac pro and my macbook air but I dont want personal stuff on my macbook air. So it would be something like this:

Mac Pro <---------> Personal Data <---------> Macbook Pro
    Mac Pro <---------> Work Data <---------> Macbook Air

Is there any alternative that will allow me to sync personal files between my macbook pro and mac pro almost exactly like dropbox so I can use dropbox for my work?

2. jahala macrumors regular

I was looking for the same thing recently and found spider oak. https://spideroak.com/ I have not tried it yet since dropbox meets my needs for now. Good luck.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can still do this with Dropbox. Just create a sub-folder called "Dropbox Work" that you share between your Mac Pro and MBA. Then create another sub-folder called "Dropbox Personal" that you share between the Mac Pro and your MBP. You don't have to share your entire Dropbox folder with every computer.

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

This is my recommendation as well. I believe you can only "share" folders through accounts (not machines)... so I believe you would need to create 3 Dropbox accounts if you want to make sure there is no contamination on the two laptops. Personal, Work, and Consolidated.

/Jim

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not true. You can have a "master" Dropbox account, with as many sub-folders as you like. You can share each of these folders with anyone you invite. If you want to restrict someone from access, you don't invite them.

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

But this is one person, with one account. So if the OP uses that "one" account on the MBA (as example), then he will be able to see both the work and the personal data on that computer. The OP wants to see only the work data, and NOT the work data on that computer.

So if his master account was his Mac Pro... then he would need to invite a second "account" to see just the work data, and a third "account" to see just the personal data.

Am I wrong?

/Jim

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I see what you're saying now. Yes, you're right. You would use different email addresses (one for work, one for personal, etc.) for each Dropbox account.

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

Try SugarSync. I believe it can do this for you.

9. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I've used SpiderOak and and like it; you have more control than with Dropbox and the prices are very reasonable.

Sugar Sync is also quite nice. I use all three, and frankly don't know how I'd get by without them.

rob

10. waynep, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

waynep macrumors 6502

OP: You can do what you want with Dropbox. There is an option called Selective Sync. I have a single dropbox account that I have installed on several machines, one being my wife's MBP. I have her Dropbox instance configured to only show a couple folders on her machine.

Make a Work folder and a Personal folder. On the Dropbox preferences on the MBP and the Air, use the Selective Sync preference to make the correct folder visible on each machine.

11. Big Bad D macrumors regular

Sugar Sync can do this through Manage Sync Folders. Simply select which folders you want synchronised for each computer.

12. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Brilliant!!! I never knew this option existed. Thank you

/Jim

13. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

For sheer simplicity, ease of use and reliability, Dropbox leaves the competition trailing in its wake.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed - it does exactly what the OP is asking. It works very easily and syncs my data across my computers

15. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

I went with SugarSync for personal and Dropbox for work :) thanks for the replies! SugarSync has been great so far