Dropbox alternatives

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by nutmac, Jul 5, 2011.

1. nutmac, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2011

nutmac macrumors 68040

With all the issues and fiascos, I've decided to stop using Dropbox. iCloud would've been a natural alternative, but since it axes MobileMe's iDisk, I will need something else.

Which free cross platform (including native app for iPhone and iPad) file storage service do you recommend and why?

FYI, among the major ones, Box.net (5 GB), Mozy (2 GB), ZumoDrive (1 GB), Wuala (1 GB), and SpiderOak (2 GB free) offer free service that works over Mac, Windows, iPhone/iPod touch, and iPad.

It seems most of these services do not offer sync as a free feature.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

SugarSync

More (initial free) space, and more configurable than Dropbox.

3. nutmac thread starter macrumors 68040

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I tried sugarsync but found it to be horrendously slow and a real resource hog (using nearly 2GB on my windows machine trying to do the initial sync and stopping all the time resulting in having to restart it)
    Dropbox isn't perfect, but IMO it's still the best there is in the sector

5. cbronfman macrumors 6502

SugarSync

+1 SugarSync works great for me - updated files sync within 60 seconds. I use Dropbox also but mainly to access files from various apps I have on my iPad2. iAnnotate is promising links with SugarSync in future updates, but for now iAnnotate sees Dropbox but not SugarSync. Dropbox is the most generally used cloud for now.