Dropbox and Folder Aliases?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Doju, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

I like to backup the "Documents" folder as I have a lot of crucial information in there. Dropbox is perfect if I'm using my Mac, as I just throw a Document folder alias in there. Perfect!

But on my iPhone, on the Dropbox website, or on a PC, it simply doesn't work. It thinks the alias folder is an unopenable file!

How do I get it to open on other systems? I know I could just copy it to there and update it once in awhile, but the automatic updating with aliases is perfect.

2. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

You must use a symlink, not an alias. Finder acts as though they are the same thing, but they aren't. The reason both are there and why Finder pretends they are the same thing would require a long explanation on operating systems history. But, in any case, follow the instructions here:

http://wiki.getdropbox.com/TipsAndTricks/SyncOtherFolders

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Put your Documents folder in the Dropbox folder. Put an alias to your Docs folder in your home directory.

Been using the software for a few weeks and really like it. I wish they would just let you select what folder you want in your Dropbox and not make you move stuff around.

5. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

This.