Dropbox background camera uploads not uploading?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by DramaLLama, Nov 4, 2013.

1. DramaLLama macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure it only works when you leave and connect to a wifi network before it starts to upload for the next 10 minutes or so.. but it seems that my Dropbox app does not upload anything at all unless I open the app, then it will start uploading all the images and videos in the que.... Is this a problem with iOS7 or is my app just glitching out?

2. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

As far as I know the app has to be opened before it starts uploading your pictures. It has always been that way. There is a work around like IFTTT, but I don't have any experience with that service.

3. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

As far as i know, Dropbox has to be open. Also, if you lock your phone, it will stop working. :mad:
    Thank you Apple. :rolleyes:

P.S. On Android it works with the app in background and/or with the phone locked.

4. epphllps macrumors 6502

Make sure you have background app refresh on as that is what let mine upload in the background. I'm pretty sure that was it, but I turned it off so now I have to have the app open. It will automatically stop loading after a while and ask you to open the app to resume if you have it uploading in the background.

5. bransoj macrumors 6502a

There is also a setting in the app that i suspect works in conjunction with Background refresh that has to be enabled. If you go into the settings in Dropbox then Camera Upload there is a setting for Background Uploading that will need to be on.

6. robjulo macrumors 6502a

The Android version of Dropbox's camera upload is much better than ios. When I had my GS4, I had to open the app one time to set it up, and that was it.

Uploads were truly automatic. Take a pic, it immediately uploaded. No worrying about a 10 minute time limit, no worrying about opening the app. So much for ios "multitasking".

The camera upload and Google Now (ios "Today" is a joke compared to Google Now) are two things I definitely miss from Android.

7. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Set up properly the Dropbox app on iOS7 will work in similar way using Location Services to pick up you've moved and upload automatically. I had it turned on for a while but then realised there was no real point me having it on so just do it manually now.

8. hafr macrumors 68030

Thanks for this information, I had no idea! Must be a fairly new feature...

9. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

Dropbox hasn't been updated for ios7 yet.

On Android, Dropbox is able to be set as a service. I doubt this will happen on iOS.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Been there for quite some time now actually.

----------

You can so prertty much the same thing with Dropbox in iOS if you set it up correctly.

11. hafr macrumors 68030

Really? I remember playing around with it before the summer vacation, but I must have completely missed the background upload-option in that case...

To be fair, it's true for most of us. But for those who might stay in one place for a long period of time (won't upload at all), or seldom have access to wifi (won't upload videos), it's not really helpful.

It's a lot better than people make it out to be, but the Android version still has "us" beat on this one.

12. robjulo macrumors 6502a

Not really. I can't take a pic, in my house, and have it immediately upload. I either have to 1) open the app or 2) change locations so the "workaround" using locations services can be triggered.

IMO, not the same thing.

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Why are you blaming Apple for Dropbox ?
    Last time I checked Dropbox wasn't an Apple software ...

14. hafr macrumors 68030

The reason Dropbox doesn't work like on Android is due to restrictions put in place by Apple, not because Dropbox want the app to work differently on the two platforms.

15. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Do you have proofs about that ?
    Do you know how iOS 7 works ?

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

With the expanded/enhanced multitasking abilities as well as background refresh features in iOS 7, I wonder if more is possible now when it comes to things of that nature.

17. hafr macrumors 68030

Dropbox clearly states it on their web page, and Apple makes no effort trying to hide it. Seriously, your questions are very strange.

18. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Shows how little he knows.

I've tested it with the background feature and it doesn't work like on Android. I ended up turning off background refresh and just open it manually.

19. Max(IT), Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Since I don't use Dropbox, and that function, I just ASKED if this is a limitation caused by the fact that Dropbox is not yet optimized for iOS 7 .... If you read from their website there are references for iOS 5 and iOS 6, nothing yet about iOS 7.

Can't see anything strange in my questions ...

Btw from what I can see, background app refresh allows apps to perform tasks when not in use but already running in background, so I don't know if Dropbox could execute an upload if it wasn't running in the background.
    On the other side I have app like Gmail checking mail without being executed, but again I don't know if this is allowed only for certain operations like fetching mails.

20. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

How do you know that it does that?

As far as I know, Gmail for iOS does not use the Background Refresh feature - it uses push notifications.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, you can use Yahoo! Mail in that example, or Pinterest, or some other similar app that has background app refresh abilities.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

23. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That's not the point.

I'm questioning the reasoning of "Max(IT)".

They have noticed what the Gmail app does, and made assumptions about how it does that.

24. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

Mine also does this, and even when I am in the app trying to upload the photos it takes forever for just one photo to get uploaded.

25. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I am wondering if this could be your cell service? How does it work on wifi? I have no issues on either cell or wifi.

I have noticed if I leave the app open (iOS 7) that the photos still load in the background. I also have camera upload>>background uploading turned on.