Dropbox Blew up My Old Dell

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by turbobass, Mar 7, 2011.

1. turbobass macrumors 6502

I booted up my ancient Dell Inspiron 5150 notebook to get all the files off of it and onto my Macs, but it gave up the ghost this weekend while trying to sync the My Documents folder to Dropbox.

It was syncing OK then stopped, I wiggled the mouse and get it going again, it started again, then blue screen and when I restarted the computer it just kept making this really loud clicking sound that sounded a lot like the rw heads in the harddrive locking and then being released really hard. It's one of the loudest sounds I've ever heard a computer make...

I'm really just posting on the off chance that Dropbox does this to some people's older model computers but I am pretty sure that my HDD is just straight-up boned.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Dropbox didn't do anything to your Dell's drive. It simply died. Dropbox can't hurt drives at all.

3. turbobass thread starter macrumors 6502

oh COME ON -- are you telling me that a well-vetted and popular piece of software that thousands use without issue could somehow NOT be the cause of my 7+ year old bargain computer spontaneously destroyin itself while I used it for the first time in years?!! dream on sheeple :p

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Something like that! :D

5. turbobass thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh...ok I guess I agree haha. Seriously, my guess was that tiny spiders had made cobwebs in the airexchange of the harddrive or that some rubber gasket had deteriorated from millenia in the dark of my hallway closet :eek:.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I don't for 1 minute believe Dropbox could destroy your Dell. Things do die at the oddest times.