Dropbox. Can you add files from the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Tulipone, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Tulipone macrumors 6502

I suspect that I am having a senior moment as I just cannot see how to transfer a file that has been edited on mt iPad to Dropbox. Whilst I really would like to do it, I kind of hope it is not possible without synchronising with my iMac. I really don't need to be old and technically unable yet!

Chris

2. cheekyjeremy macrumors regular

absolutely. There are a number of ways to do it. For people working with documents (word, pages, excel, numbers etc), you can use documents to go, or Office HD. I do prefer the latter if for nothing other than the ability to "easily" delete files from dropbox. If you just want to move files around, goodreader is a good app for that

3. Tulipone thread starter macrumors 6502

...okay, no direct access. Again, this needs to be addressed in a future OS upgrade. Until then I will have a look at your suggestions, thanks.

4. cheekyjeremy macrumors regular

What do you mean direct access. You can open files from your drop box, edit them and save them back to the drop box. What can't you do that you are wanting to do ?

5. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

I think OP means getting a file that he's created on his iPad into Dropbox in the first place. I created a doc in Pages, emailed it to myself, opened it on my Mac and pulled it into Dropbox. Seems a little laborious, but couldn't see an easier way.

6. dipper macrumors newbie

For docs created in Pages and then exported via email, I use goodreader to access my gmail then I can move it to Dropbox from there. A bit long winded but it works fine for me.

7. cheekyjeremy macrumors regular

It's only pages that gives you that limitation. There are a number of Office apps (Documents to go, Office HD) that you can create a document on the ipad and save it to dropbox

8. Tulipone thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly right. I don't want to jail break nor did I particularly want to pay for another app to do a task that, to me, should be built in. MobileMe seems to be the fullest answer but expensive.

Thanks - but I already have the app.

9. owen-b macrumors 6502a

I don't have Pages but is it possible to open Ipad pages documents using Goodreader? If so, there's your solution right there :)

Open the document using good reader, copy it using the file management panel, select your drop box while in good reader, paste the document into the drop box.

You can definitely choose to open files from your email in Goodreader so maybe you'll need to email it to yourself first.

10. cheekyjeremy macrumors regular

Can you give me a real world example of what you want to do, as I feel like the current (non jailbroken) situation does what I think you would need without having to email files to yourself etc. I have mobileme, and I can do all of this better avoiding mobileme and avoiding sending myself emails, so maybe I am not understanding your real world need

11. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

Here's my example. A couple of days ago I created a document in Pages on my iPad. Later, I decided it would be useful to have same doc on my iPhone. So I sent the doc to myself from the Mail app and opened the email on my MacBook and copied the doc over to Dropbox on my desktop. Turned on iPhone and opened the doc. A little laborious but it worked. And I don't have MobileMe. So, what's the quickest/simplest route to get a document created in Pages into Dropbox?

12. cheekyjeremy macrumors regular

Ok, I get it. The issue here is actually with pages, not with anything else. Pages is the program that restricts you from sending files out. For example, if you created the word document in almost all the other office type apps, you could do exactly what you want (as I currently do), it is just that apple doesn't want you to, so they have blocked pages from allowing that. Mobile me will not resolve your problem either, Pages is set to restrict you doing that, and mobile me does not fix your problem. Using something other than pages (Documents to go, or Office HD) allows you to do all of this stuff

Ok, glad I understand

13. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

This is ridiculous. I wish someone at Apple would read this thread, it should be apparent just how wrong it is.

14. Tulipone thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, it is not just Pages - Mind Pad and any number of other apps have the same issue. I now have work arounds but that really is not the point. Apple decided that either security was more important than file transfer OR that it was too hard for them to do in time. I hope that the next OS addresses the issue.

15. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I've used Docs To Go and Office2HD (both with and without Dropbox) to do what OP wants to do. I prefer Docs To Go just because I like the interface better. I started off with Numbers and Pages, but they are just too restrictive.

16. jhiner macrumors regular

The fact that we have to buy "apps" to do things we can already do with our PC/Mac computers is sort of annoying. I mean, I can go online and edit my Google Docs for free, but not with my iPhone or my iPad.

That said, I bought an iPad and ended up selling it on eBay. However, I will probably buy v2. I own a 3GS, and will be selling it to get the iPhone 4. Still, there are some things I wish I could do for free, without shelling out 5 to 10 bucks for an app. Maybe as the platform becomes more capable, we will see that change.

Same goes with games. Farmville is an example. You can play for free on facebook, but have to PAY for an app to do the same thing on iOS. Poker, too. Any of those Zynga apps!

17. ms.astoria macrumors newbie

new box.net app for easy file transfers from ipad

finally! Needed a simple way to transfers files from Ipad to my other computers and Dropbox was not the answer. It only wanted to capture photos or video. Today Box.net came out with their free Ipad app and to quote Steve Jobs, "It just works". Beautiful! Now I just directly email any file from my Ipad to the Box folder on their web site that I want it in and it's there, ready to open on my office computer or instant access from approved collaborators. Nice!

18. david77 macrumors regular

Agreed. It doesn't have to everything a PC/Mac has, but there are a view basic functions it needs to have. Printing, the ability to download and store files natively, and a simple file management system. The iPad would then be a must have IMO.

19. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Huh? The Farmville app for iPhone is free. It sort of works. Lots more work is needed to kill bugs and enhance its utility, but you don't pay for it.

20. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Sugarsync has offered this for quite some time. I use Sugarsync exclusively now along with Docs To Go. Works great.

21. Diane B macrumors member

I agree. I didn't buy Numbers but bought Pages early. I bought Office HD and can work directly with Dropbox. Goodreader is great to work with also. I haven't tried Docs to Go (didn't know about it). I did the workaround with emailing myself but was happy to find other easy options and don't use Pages now. On top of that I hated the lack of organization (though I would do the email and open in Goodreaders and organize in folders. Not necessary now).

22. Backlyt macrumors newbie

Round about solution

There is a round about way by using the service sendtodropbox.com. It gives you an email address that you can send files to and then adds them to your dropbox. The service also has a bunch of filters and automatic organization tools.
    If you're jailbroken, you can use ifile or something similar to navigate to your file and then email it to dropbox from there.
    If you're not jailbroken… what the hell is wrong with you? It's easy, it can add a host of awesome additions and will not void your warrentee. If anything ever goes wrong (and it won't) you can just restore the device to the factory software.

23. amcoffin macrumors newbie

This works great, and it's free:

http://dropdav.com/

The service let's you use the webdav protocol to upload to/download from DropBox. Saw this in another thread on MacRumors and signed up, and once you do you can access and upload files from directly within Pages and the other iWorks apps. (These apps have Webdav built in...I never noticed this until I saw the DropDav service recommended.)

24. MrMorden macrumors member

MrMorden

+1
    I just joined, and it's great.