Dropbox causing performance issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shot2bits, Jul 19, 2011.

1. shot2bits macrumors member

Hi, installed drop box yesterday. Found that I'm getting the spinning wheel much more than I did previous to the install.

Anybody else found this?

I'm running a 2011 2.2 15"..

Rob.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've never heard of any performance issues with Dropbox. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

3. shot2bits thread starter macrumors member

It does appear to be DropBox. If I keep activity monitor open and click around on Chrome or other apps, it's DropBox CPU usage that spikes causing the spinning wheel.. Odd..

4. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

remove and reinstall?

actually u might wanna contact dropbox abt this... if it's a major bug and u tell them abt it and help them diagnose it they usually reward you with free space

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd remove and reinstall. By the way, I'm assuming you've already tried restarting your Mac. That's a basic first step in troubleshooting.
    If it were a bug in Dropbox, all Dropbox users would be experiencing the same thing, which they're not. It's an isolated case.

6. mark28 macrumors 68000

For what it is worth, something was hogging my Mac. I was actually thinking about buying a SSD.

I uninstalled Parallels and Dropbox ( only these 2 apps ) and my Mac is 10 times better. It's flying!!

It was either Dropbox or Parallels that was hogging my Mac. ( I wasn't running a Virtual machine ofcourse )

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

8. mark28 macrumors 68000

9. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

that's not really the only case... he can be running some specific application in the background that not many people are using and causing a conflict with dropbox. hence it doesn't have to be experienced by all Dropbox users.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Grasping at straws? It's extremely unlikely that the OP is running any app that at least thousands of other users aren't running. In any event, it doesn't make sense to contact Dropbox about this issue, until it's been resolved and proven to be a Dropbox issue, rather than simply a bad installation or another issue with the OP's system. Dropbox is not historically problematic, so the probability is very great that the issue lies with the OP's specific installation or operating environment.

11. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

okay buddy

12. shot2bits thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to clean install when Lion is released anyway so will re-install DropBox at that point.. I did reboot several times today and the same problem - spinning wheel when opening files etc.. Odd behaviour.

13. dkhanley macrumors newbie

You rock!

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this! After the latest OSX update to 10.6.8, my battery life went to about 2 hours from 7 hours, my cooling fans got loud A LOT, AND the Windows Application folder did not work. Thanks to you, now I know why! After doing the "workaround" on this link, my battery life went from about 1:30 left to 4:30 left. This seems to have fixed my battery life problem :)

I am downloading the new version of Parallels now, but I think I will wait to install it until I see that everything is back to normal first.

Thanks again!