Dropbox-compatible note-taking app?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by CristobalHuet, May 30, 2010.

1. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Looking for a note-taking application that supports uploads TO Dropbox.

Evernote syncs from and to its own cloud, and there are some other apps that are WebDAV compatible. iWork (obviously) isn't Dropbox-friendly.

Has anyone stumbled upon a note-taking app that will let you load up a document from Dropbox and sync back the changes?

Thanks.

2. headphonesonly macrumors newbie

This isn't the answer you are looking for, but it may help.

I don't have an iPad yet, but in anticipation of getting one (probably this week) I've set up a system that I can email files to dropbox. It's not something that is natively supported but I found it on the dropbox wiki. It's called EmailToUpload. It requires your own server to run cron jobs, and if you are familiar with what those are, it's simple to set up.

I also set up an email "dropbox@mydomain.com" and any attachment sent to that address will be uploaded to dropbox. My plan is to work on a document in Pages and when I'm done, email it dropbox@mydomain.com. When I want to edit it I can pull it up from Dropbox app and send it to iWork. This may not work in your case though.

3. CristobalHuet thread starter macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Wow, that is some excellent information right there.

I am not entirely familiar with cron jobs, so this might get a little tricky for myself, but it's definitely something I would use if I could get working right.

4. headphonesonly macrumors newbie

Do you have web hosting for say a personal website? I use DreamHost for my personal website and they make running cron jobs really easy. This kind of thing isn't really my strong suit either but I had some help and would be willing to help you out too if you have the server to run it.

5. CristobalHuet thread starter macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

I don't really have any personal hosting, sadly, I am going to manage a family member's business website in the future, although I'm not sure they'd want me storing stuff like this on there.

Thanks for the good tip though, fellow Canuck. :)