Dropbox Context Menu Items not showing up.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by VideoBeagle, Aug 20, 2015.

1. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

I'm "working with" Dropbox support, but it's going around in circles with a script monkey, so maybe someone here might have some thoughts...

The Computer:

2012 iMac running OS10.9.5

The Problem:
    Sometimes the context menu items (share link etc) do not show up when right clicking on items in the dropbox.

The Symptoms:
    After starting up the computer, it works fine. Menus are there. At some time(n), they stop being there.
    If I quit dropbox and leave it off for some time(x) and then restart the dropbox app, they MIGHT show up again...or they might not. If they don't, repeating that process will eventually work. When they are back, they once again work for some (y) amount of time.

(I'm using 3 variables there because there hasn't seemed to be any correlation between times..completely random as far as I can tell).

Sometimes, but not all the time, the "green check" icon is missing from the files in the dropbox when this happening..sometimes only files in the top level have the check, but any files in subfolders do not.
    When all the icons are correct, it seems to work fine. There doesn't seem to be any difference between when some icons are missing and all icons are missing. (I've observed this, but I haven't done any testing to confirm this is in fact true all the time.)

What's been done so far:

Before contacting dropbox, I uninstalled it using an uninstaller program, downloaded a fresh copy and reinstalled it. That didn't change things. I did a volume repair with Disk Warrior on the imac's drive at this point (disk utility said it was damanged).

After contacting them, I've done various reinstalls and software updating, including following their uninstall script of using sudo commmands in terminal and then reinstalling.
    Also bunches of "Quit program" force quit finder, start program" tries (The person I'm working with doesn't seem to understand that this goes through restarts of the computer, so no killing processes/restarting finder/quiting and restarting program will fix the problem).

Additional Information:

This has been going on for a couple of weeks. I don't recall installing anything that could be interrupting context menus or that added to it..

It appears to be happening on my MacBook Pro (OS 10.8.5) but this is not confirmed. It has shown that it's missing the menus, and they return after a restart, but I haven't checked if it follows the rest of the pattern.

(edit: As I was typing this and looking at the screen shots, the partial green circle in them caught my eye. That's from "Pinpoint"..a program that highlights the mouse so you can find it easier...That is a new install within the past several weeks that does do some direct interfacing with the OS. I've shut it off to explore if it might be causing issues, for some reason).

Question:

So, as I said, I've been going around in circles with Dropbox support on this, so anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this issue?

Screenshot 2015-08-19 22.17.39.png Screenshot 2015-08-20 12.06.13.png

2. VideoBeagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well uninstalling Pinpoint seemed to work..but then it didn't..so back the drawing board.
    Dropbox has elevated my support ticket to the next level, so that's something.