Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dropbox for iOS has been updated to version 3.6 today, adding the ability to rename files and folders. Navigating to an individual file and then tapping on the new "more" action button next to the share sheet button will reveal a set of file management options that includes renaming capabilities.

Along with files, folders can also be renamed directly within the Dropbox app for iOS, with a quick swipe to the right to reveal the new renaming function.

dropboxappupdate.jpg
The addition of file renaming functionality follows a recent update that saw Microsoft and Dropbox partnering up to add Dropbox support to Microsoft's suite of Office apps, allowing documents in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel to be saved to a user's Dropbox account.
- You can now rename your files and folders!
- Swipe right on a folder to see more actions, including rename.
- We've moved a few things around - there's a new more actions button (···) when viewing files
- On iPhones, the more actions button (···) also includes the full file name, size and other details.
- Edit Office documents and save them back to your Dropbox
Dropbox can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Dropbox for iOS Gains File Renaming Capabilities

Erphern

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
UK
yet another thing iCloud Drive cant do properly :D

iCloud Drive is so disappointing. I was very excited about it, was happy to purchase the 200GB plan; it sits there empty because it's just useless. Guess I'll cancel at some point.

I have no idea who thought it'd be a good idea to have to cache the same amount of storage locally as in the cloud - multiplied by how many devices you have using the iCloud account. Worthless and doesn't scale.

Oh well, good job Dropbox.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
iCloud Drive is so disappointing. I was very excited about it, was happy to purchase the 200GB plan; it sits there empty because it's just useless. Guess I'll cancel at some point.

I have no idea who thought it'd be a good idea to have to cache the same amount of storage locally as in the cloud - multiplied by how many devices you have using the iCloud account. Worthless and doesn't scale.

Oh well, good job Dropbox.

Apples cloud is the worst thing they have ever done.

iCloud pre-iOS7 that doesn't work well together with ios 8 devices, Photostream that's not part of the iCloud space, iCloud Photos that's part of iCloud, iCloud Drive for iOS 8. iCloud Photo Library that's part of iOS8 with an mac app that's not due til 2015, iPhoto that doesn't work properly with iCloud Photo. Then there's Photostream Sharing but also iCloud Photo Sharing. We also have the stuff like contacts that get synced but what is it actually called? "iCloud too?" Oh and then we also got iTunes Match that's for music like wtf apple. Apps need to be updated to gain access to your iCloud Drive files and you have to know what app may be able to open certain types instead of giving me an app like Dropbox with the files where I can PICK the app to open it with instead of guessing which one has been updated and can actually support the type. So confusing and I am a computer science / online marketing student. How are regular people like my family supposed to understand that lol

Oh and like you said it takes up local space which makes the whole purpose of a cloud redundant and if you just want to get rid of a picture to save some local space it gets deleted eeeeverywheeeere

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Apple really needs to either buy Dropbox and implement it into iCloud or create their own - I literally don't even know what iCloud does other than store back ups

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
About time! I had to use another app to rename Dropbox files on my phone, amazing it took this long to add that feature.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Dropbox is LIGHTYEARS ahead of anything Apple has ever created regarding usable and useful cloud storage. The current state of iCloud drive and photo sync is a total mess.

Dropbox is amazing. Google also really knows how to do this stuff. Heck, Microsoft too. Just not the "real innovators" at all-mighty and super-rich Apple. I just don't get it. :(

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
People complain when Apple copies stuff from other companies, but for the love of everything Apple really needs to take some hints from Dropbox/OneDrive to make iCloud Drive a worthwhile alternative. As of now it's only useful for device backups.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I use it for device backups, app data sync, and syncing of Contacts and Calendars. I don't trust it for anything else.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
amazing it took this long to add that feature.
I'm not surprised. Apple iOS being proprietary closed and resistant to customer preferences was the one to limit functionality. I could use my Mac, PC, Nexus Tablets or Android smartphones to easily create, edit, and rename files.

Knowing Apple and their stubborn attitude, DropBox saw the opportunity to overrule Apple's crazy system, and facilitate the kind of operations that are so essential. This is excellent news.

bellis1

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
I'm a big dropbox fan. I only wish it could read/write OSX tags and hide files that start with '.'

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
Apple has been screwing up cloud services for ages: iTools, .mac and mobileMe are a few that come to mind.

Edit:
I just googled iTools. It rolled out in January of 2000. 14 years later and they still haven't "cracked" usable cloud services.

Edit2:
I forgot eWorld in the '90s. Lol

Last edited:

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I wish I could edit plain text files inside the iOS dropbox app. Just .txt files.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
iCloud is excellent for syncing contacts, calendars, and Safari-related stuff. But for file storage, Dropbox and GitHub all the way.

msephton

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
About time! I had to use another app to rename Dropbox files on my phone, amazing it took this long to add that feature.
Same.

I'd also request this rename feature with each new version of Dropbox they didn't have it. I must have been requesting it for 3 years now.

The Android Dropbox app has had renaming capability for years.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Apple really needs to either buy Dropbox and implement it into iCloud or create their own - I literally don't even know what iCloud does other than store back ups

You do know Steve Jobs asked to buy dropbox but they wouldn't sell it to him.

----

Dropbox is smooth. They really have some ace programmers and decision makers over there.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
did it really take them this long to introduce such a simple and basic feature? doesn't dropbox just use git or svn behind the ui to get the job done?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.