Dropbox hacked?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by rhett7660, Oct 14, 2014.

1. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Reports are coming in that Dropbox.com has been hacked. Looking for an official announcement. This is being talked about on twitter.

****Updated info*****
    http://www.neowin.net/news/dropbox-has-been-hacked-change-your-password-immediately

But there has been an update on the above link.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2014/10/14/dropbox-passwords-leak-online-alleged-hack/

Found this on Dropbox:

https://blog.dropbox.com/2014/10/dropbox-wasnt-hacked/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=tumblr

So, who knows really at this time. Better safe than sorry, but change your passwords!

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Dropbox claims it has not been hacked; that any passwords stolen were from third party apps.

That said, it's always good to change passwords every month or so.

3. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

And so it should be hacked. Why can't people wake up and just leave their data on their HDs? All this so-called "cloud" nonsense is just asking for it. Fappening was just the beginning. A sensible person would know that if you play with fire you get burned.

4. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Um harddrives can get hacked too. Especially if you are connected. Hasn't this been done before!??!?!

I don't put sensitive stuff in the cloud, but I do use it and rely on it.

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I'm guessing you're someone who has never had to work remotely. This so called "cloud nonsense" you are referring to is a vital tool for some. It's a great way to share files for work/family/friends. Can't do that with just a hard drive. Of course putting naked pictures of yourself on the cloud probably isn't the best idea. But calling the cloud "nonsense" when using it for valid and good reasons is just plain ignorant.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You might try not to, but I'm sure plenty of third parties you've shared info with (bank, credit card company, state/local/federal government, payroll company/HR department of employer, hospital, retailer, landlord/rental agency, mortgage broker, etc.,.) have your private/financial data in the cloud.

7. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Oh no doubt, hence the amount of spam etc. I am sure big companies and stuff that is open to the public have your stuff in the cloud. Totally agree. I am more referencing you, putting sensitive items, credit card bills that show your credit card number etc, in the cloud voluntarily.

Those type of items I keep locally in an encrypted dmg file that I keep local and do not save the password in my keychain.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wow, I missed that the other day. Glad they weren't hacked directly and I'm glad I don't reuse passwords and have 2FA enabled.

9. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

After I saw this, I also upgraded to the 2FA...... I just changed my password also.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Always a good idea to change the password. Better safe than sorry.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Yup. The moment I read that two million username and password pairs were allegedly leaked, the first thing I did was go in, check and see if any funky computers were authorized on my account, changed my password, and...I didn't know they had this until I saw it on the security page...turned on two-step verification.

12. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

well there you go.

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's good news!