Dropbox has gone live!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GimmeSlack12, Sep 11, 2008.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

If you haven't heard about this program or are were waiting for it to go Public, today is the day! This program allows you 2Gb of space to store whatever files you want and then from your Mac (Finder) or Windows (Windows Explorer) or Linux, or even your browser you have access to those files from anywhere. Its really quite simple and ingenious.

www.getdropbox.com

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Agreed. I've been running the beta for a couple of months, and it's been working without a hitch, which is more than I can say for my iDisk/MobileMe combo. One of those rare products that 'just works' ..... :apple:;)

3. dadoc04 macrumors member

4. 0mie macrumors newbie

This is a sweet little app. I like it. I have a lot of stuff and I need to sort it out before I upload anything. It's SLOWS down my computer a lot when it's running, probably because its processing a lot of files. So I will just upload what I need.

5. numlock macrumors 68000

has anyone had problems with dropbox and certain file types?

my applescript application (bundles) dont work on my 2nd computer

6. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Do they work if you transfer them via USB drive?

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Dropbox has worked great for me throughout the beta phase. It's WAY faster than iDisk, which I still have (but perhaps not for long). Let's hope it doesn't slow down when they bring more users on board.

8. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I haven't had any problems with Applescripts, and on the Dropbox forums they told me that the Dropbox folder on each computer is a local folder so any files should behave as any other file.

9. blodwyn macrumors 65816

The files on the server side are hosted on Amazon S3, so hopefully there won't be any issues when the user base scales up

10. hob macrumors 68020

hob

wow. holy moly. that's amazing. I hope it works as well as the video shows. How do they make their money?

11. dws90 macrumors regular

At the moment, they don't. They're going to start charging for additional storage once it leaves beta.

12. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

Heh..not only was the video demo educational, it was somewhat humorous. Sending love songs to billg@microsoft.com and seeing his buddy's reply in iChat "why do you keep sending me this crap" when he demoed the file sharing.

13. hob macrumors 68020

hob

haha i noticed that too :D

14. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I actually laughed when I saw that, I think the video is great, it's not one of those super cheesy "HI, MY NAMES JAMES, I'M HERE TO SHOW YOU DROPBOX, THE PREMIER BLAH BLAH BLAH", it's done by one guy, recording with what I'm guessing was SnapsXPro. I liked the Obama pic too :p