Dropbox - How can I protect my files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by digitalove, Jul 27, 2012.

1. digitalove macrumors regular

Good evening,

I was wondering if it's possible to set a password to access to my Dropbox account on Mountain Lion, just like on the iOS app you can set a password to see your stuff.

Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, because its a normal folder on your mac, and OSX does no support passwords at the folder level

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, but you can lock your user account with a password, which will prevent access to all your data, not just Dropbox.

4. digitalove thread starter macrumors regular

The only thing that I have to keep secure are my Dropbox folders, because all my files are there.

Thanks anyway for the answer.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You would lose functionality, but you could just not use the Dropbox integration app on Mountain Lion at all and only use/access Dropbox from their web site?

6. digitalove thread starter macrumors regular

I think this is a good solution, it would also remove some GB from my Mac.
    :)

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

:rolleyes: It's on the internet either way. Hardly "secure."

8. bgrubin macrumors newbie

As the others have stated, no. But there is a very secure and quite usable solution if you tend only to access the files/folders you want highly secured from a computer (rather than from iOS for example): Create a sparse encrypted disk image using disk utility, place it in your dropbox folder, and place the files within. Because sparse images aren't monolithic files, they sync quite nicely when you modify them (it only syncs the changed portion) and also has the advantage of securing your files should dropbox be compromised.