Dropbox in Skydrive (or vice versa)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DrDoug, Jun 28, 2012.

1. DrDoug macrumors member

Am using (and loving) Dropbox, but at some of my work sites, the website is blocked by firewalls. Not so of Skydrive. Am now going to have to use both.

Have both Skydrive and Dropbox installed on my Mac. Was wondering if anyone had tried putting the Dropbox folder inside the Sydrive Folder (or vice versa).

That was they could both be in sync, (albiet with one of them having an extra layer in the folder structure).

Dont want to try this at present, as a lot of data to ruin/duplicate if things go wrong!

thoughts/experiences welcome.

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

set up a new account for each service that you can test with...then you don't have to worry about data loss.

3. DrDoug thread starter macrumors member

So can I have multiple Dropbox accounts running simultaneously?... interesting..

if not - then I guess I can use a guest user profile to test them

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Not sure if you can have two DB or SD accounts running simultaneously or not...your idea of a new "test account" for the Mac and also for DB and SD was what I was aiming at - so you're not risking your actual "good" data.

5. DrDoug thread starter macrumors member

OK.. so I tried it. Albeit in a limited fashion.

remembered that I had another hotmail account, with nothing on the associated skydrive.

So I logged into that account from the sydrive app on the mac. At setup you get the choice of where to put the folder each time, so I stuck it in the 'root' of the Dropbox folder. Then played around with some folders and a few files.

Did the same thing on the MBA, so I had 2 computers each logged into the same dropbox and skydrive accounts at the same time, with the skydrive folder 'inside' the dropbox one.

Worked mostly, but with a couple of occurrences of duplication of folders.
    Not sure if that is sue to dropbox and skydrive updating simultaneously or the fact that the two macs were trying to do the same thing at the same time.

either way, its not safe enough to do with my data.