Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

File-sharing service Dropbox has updated its official iOS app with a number of new features, including full optimization for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus as well as integration with Touch ID for more convenient unlocking. The app also includes a fix for previewing rich text format files and general stability and performance improvements.

dropboxios8-800x707.jpg
Dropbox saw its last major update last month after the release of iOS 8 which brought a new Notification Center widget, a new Share extension that allows files from other apps to be opened and saved, and the ability to manage shared folders in the app. A number of other apps have also included support for Touch ID since the release of iOS 8 last month.

Dropbox is a free app for the iPhone and iPad and can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Dropbox for iOS Updated with Touch ID Integration, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Support

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Cool. We must be able to secure SSH keys with Touch ID. Touch ID-integrated SSH terminal, anyone? Or a git repo browser for iOS? :cool: I'm a fan of Dropbox, having used it a lot since its early years, but I haven't touched it lately.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
Now that it is clear that Apple created a lackluster iCloud Drive implementation (on iOS), Dropbox is still needed unfortunately.

Such a shame.

baslotto

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2007
I can't seem to find the way to set Touch-ID to work in DropBox, is it working for anyone? I just updated the app on my 6.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Completely shifted to iCloud now, don't want those DropBox hacks to have my files.

Banan911

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Aarhus, Denmark
Am I the only one who still can't preview iwork files in the iOS Dropbox app? With the recent update to iWork iOS apps and now the Dropbox app, that disappoints me a bit :/

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Completely shifted to iCloud now, don't want those DropBox hacks to have my files.

The recent Dropbox security issue was a third-party company that allowed users to login using their Dropbox credentials. Dropbox's systems were not breached.

I am a long-time Dropbox paying customer and I still rate them as #1 at what they do.

I also wouldn't trust Apple to look after any of my personal data, particularly my important files & documents! Absolutely no chance in hell.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
A few hours ago I literally just rededicated myself to using Dropbox as my cloud solution once I realized how bad iCloud Drive is.

ephemeralreason

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2012
I was so looking forward to a better iCloud implementation - at least allow folder-within-folder stacking. Sadly, I'll need to keep using Dropbox.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Is the "auto" camera upload still hampered by the 10 minute "multitasking" time limit.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Still the best cloud provider followed by Google Drive. Not sure what Apple was thinking not releasing a dedicated app for this. iCloud Drive is a bag of hurt.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Rad!
Now if Box would do the same

Box (50GB free) > dropbox (2GB free)

Not that it comes close to the 50GB free from Box, but you can get 6GB free from Dropbox (details here), plus if you want to harass or harangue your family and friends you can get another 500MB for each one that signs up with a link you send them.

As I said, it's not as much as Box, but for some it's adequate, especially if they've already got a Dropbox account and don't want to sign up to another service.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Now that it is clear that Apple created a lackluster iCloud Drive implementation (on iOS), Dropbox is still needed unfortunately.

Such a shame.

I was just reminded from another post that iCloud was rumored to be based MS Azure. No wonder 3 years later and it is still unreliable and hard to work with. I had a iOS 8 app ready to go, but Apple created new iCloud containers and the old containers were just simply abandoned, unless you hand edited some plist files. Even with that no Apple docs about it, no support in Xcode 6, nothing.

I have abandoned iCloud for iOS apps and will be migrating everything to other services included Dropbox.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I was just reminded from another post that iCloud was rumored to be based MS Azure. No wonder 3 years later and it is still unreliable and hard to work with. I had a iOS 8 app ready to go, but Apple created new iCloud containers and the old containers were just simply abandoned, unless you hand edited some plist files. Even with that no Apple docs about it, no support in Xcode 6, nothing.

I have abandoned iCloud for iOS apps and will be migrating everything to other services included Dropbox.

Isn't that what happened with 1Password?

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
Apple, pay attention to Dropbox. You might learn something about Cloud Done Right.

Simple. Powerful. Easy. Intuitive. Versatile. Scalable.

Dropbox even lets you publish your iWeb websites. Remember that, Apple? When you empowered people to create and share content, rather than just consume it?

Love Apple but Dropbox is more Apple-like than iCloud.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
The recent Dropbox security issue was a third-party company that allowed users to login using their Dropbox credentials. Dropbox's systems were not breached.

I am a long-time Dropbox paying customer and I still rate them as #1 at what they do.

I also wouldn't trust Apple to look after any of my personal data, particularly my important files & documents! Absolutely no chance in hell.

Very well said, no need for an Apple Web Services "oops" we blew away everything (including the linked files on your computer) by accident moment.

I use DropBox as well which is a great service...on the other side of things DropBox is such a honeypot of personal/business information I'm sure the NSA/FBI constantly serves them NSL's and DropBox grants the feds access to users DropBox contents (which annoys me knowing they surely do this).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.