Dropbox LAN Sync: How fast is it really?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by whyrichard, Apr 15, 2013.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

I am thinking of moving our business to Dropbox for Business.

One concern I have is speed. How fast is dropbox LAN Syncing really? Especially when compared to Writing a file to, and then reading the same file from the Server?

Thanks,
    r.

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

It's pretty much only limited by the speed of your network. The detection of changes is nearly instantaneous. In my experience, small document changes sync within a second or two of being saved by someone else, and larger documents just take as long as it would have to copy the files from one computer to another (which makes sense, since that's all it's doing). The point of Dropbox is having access to your files on several devices and via the web, and sharing documents across a team, while being able to also work offline at times. It's a different value proposition than a centralized file server.

3. jrdnlc, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2013

jrdnlc macrumors newbie

jrdnlc

It's very limited thats why i switched to Copy. Have you tried them out? Give them a try:

Their upload speeds are fast and even the downloads. I dont think they have business plans though yet. They do have mobile apps so that was a plus for me n

4. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

5. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

6. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

On my Gigabit network the highest I remember seeing the reported transfer speed go is 1.3MB/sec.

Yes, Megabytes not bits. Doesn't seem to max out the network or disk it's stored on.