MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dropbox today announced that it has made three new features available to the public following beta testing, including a password manager, file vault, and automatic computer backup functionality on the Mac and PC, as noted by The Verge.

dropbox-passwords.jpg

An overview of the new features:
  • Dropbox Passwords: Similar to 1Password, this password manager allows you to save your account usernames and passwords and sync them across your devices, with autofilled or suggested passwords when you sign into websites and mobile apps. Dropbox Passwords is available as a desktop app, mobile app, and browser extension for Dropbox Plus and Dropbox Professional subscribers.
  • Dropbox Vault: This feature allows users to create a location in Dropbox with an additional layer of security for sensitive files. The vault is protected by a PIN and can be shared with trusted contacts. Vaults can only be opened from Dropbox.com and the Dropbox mobile app. This feature will only be available for Dropbox Plus users.
  • Dropbox Computer Backup: This feature allows users to automatically back up certain key folders on their Mac or PC, such as Desktop, Documents, and Downloads, to Dropbox. This feature is being made available to all Dropbox users.
More details can be found in Dropbox's blog post from June.

Article Link: Dropbox Launches Password Manager, File Vault, and More Across iPhone and Mac

Last edited:

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
C'mon, loosen your purse strings and give the guys in Toronto some cash so they can keep the lights on.
I used to use dropbox to keep my desktop/documents in sync, but they got a little creepy with their use of system calls, and then Apple came along and built it into the OS. Now I use box for file sharing (paid) and no longer have dropbox on any of my machines.

Comment

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I used to use dropbox to keep my desktop/documents in sync, but they got a little creepy with their use of system calls, and then Apple came along and built it into the OS. Now I use box for file sharing (paid) and no longer have dropbox on any of my machines.
As much as I try to get away from them. Their software are just so much better and easier to use and the sync is so much faster compared to all others. For example, I was trying to switch over to OneDrive (cheaper), however OneDrive refuse to run on one of the machine which I have formatted the drive as case-sensitive.....okay. But no problem with Dropbox. Also iCloud has weird path name which I actually have to google to find it.
Let’s just say if Dropbox was cheaper and has a family plan if jump on it in a heart beat. But since I have their free account I’ll continue to use it.

Comment

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
When they make some kind of family sharing account. Then we can talk again. Been asking since 2015.....

It looks like they have it for a limited audience (whatever that means).

Comment

rwxx

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2020
Dropbox isn’t end to end encrypted, so I won’t use it. For that matter, neither is iCloud Drive or most of the other cloud storage solutions available today.

I’ve been using Sync.com and am very happy with it for cloud storage and document sharing. It’s a zero knowledge solution, meaning they have no access to your files, unlike Dropbox, iCloud, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saturnine
Comment

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010

Thanks, looks something a new plan that they are testing out. Either way, I don't appear to be part of their "limited" members.

Comment

VolceOntra

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
Def. was not expecting all this Dropbox hate in the comments. I like the core Dropbox features (you know - the file syncing stuff).

Comment

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004

I don't understand the pricing. It costs whopping $200/year ($20/month) for 6 members to share the 2TB storage pool. That is the same amount offered to $100/year ($10/month) individual "Plus" plan. Apple's iCloud is also Family Sharing enabled and costs $10/month.

Comment

LeeW

macrumors 68030
Feb 5, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I guess if you are already a Dropbox subscriber then there is a benefit here, but I have been a fan of what they are charging for storage given what I get at iCloud or other places.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Comment

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2009
Have 1Password ever had any data breaches?

Not yet, but even if they did get hacked the hacker would need to know your master password AND security key to get access to your data. 1Password doesn't keep any records of either of these. Both of them are virtually impossible to brute force due to the number of possibilities.

Comment

MVMNT

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2010
Not yet, but even if they did get hacked the hacker would need to know your master password AND security key to get access to your data. 1Password doesn't keep any records of either of these. Both of them are virtually impossible to brute force due to the number of possibilities.

Whereas - even though I still use them - one data breach is enough since 2012 for Dropbox. Hope they've got something bulletproof in place for this.

Reactions: Wintermute121
Comment

ultrafiel80

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2019
I've used Dropbox for years. I thought about moving to iCloud last year instead, but found that I don't like some of iCloud's nature (like building folders automatically for apps at the root level of iCloud, etc). I want to control my structure well, so I've stayed with Dropbox.

I've tried other systems: Box, OneDrive, etc, but I find that Dropbox has the best sync in my opinion. I can move to family sharing, but the price hike over Plus doesn't seem worth it for my family (just my wife and I as my kids are too young to need it). I was thinking of just moving my wife's files into my account and sharing it, but if the family plan were a bit lower I would move to it—or give a Plus+1 account or something and I'd totally use that instead.

I also have 1Password and have used it for many years. I will stay with that since it is a great program. The secure storage area is intriguing in Dropbox, but only being able to access from the web/app is not so great—if there were a way to have that locally it would be amazing and I'd use it in a heartbeat, but I understand that is likely due to OS limitations.

I don't really like all the extra stuff Dropbox is adding, and there is bloat, but as a whole I still prefer it over any other option.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.