Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Hey,

I need software advice... I am looking to upgrade my work environment with file syncing software. Ideally, it would operate as delightfully well and transparently as Dropbox, except without the subscription.

We have a central OSX server, and three work macs hooked up to it using wifi.

Is there such a software that you buy outright and works like Dropbox on a LAN?

Thanks,

R

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
If you are using directory services on your server to authenticate the client computers, there is an option to make "Mobile Accounts" - or something like that - when you join the client to the domain. I believe this would put the user's home directory on the server, but sync changes locally while the client is connected.

I've never set this up, just saw the options when I was looking to set up an account on a Windows domain. This might give you what you want and is already built into OS X.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
If you are using directory services on your server to authenticate the client computers, there is an option to make "Mobile Accounts" - or something like that - when you join the client to the domain. I believe this would put the user's home directory on the server, but sync changes locally while the client is connected.

I've never set this up, just saw the options when I was looking to set up an account on a Windows domain. This might give you what you want and is already built into OS X.

That is very interesting... will do some research on that.

Currently the setup is:

-Airport Extreme with Time Capsule, n, v 7.6.1, Ethernet to osx server, 181/929 gb available,

-Mini Server 10.6.8, 2.53ghz, 4gigs ram, 486/499 gb internal available, 69/499 gb external available... 2 internal drives

The macs use a combination of 10.7 and 10.8.

I am a newb when it comes to osx server. What are the differences between osx server and regular osx?

Thanks,
r.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
Server has some services (like Directory Service and Mail Service for example) installed and has some management tools for configuring them. There's actually a separate download for some of the server tools in the App Store.

I started setting up Snow Leopard server some time ago, but never really followed through on it. There's a forum dedicated to OSX Server that you might want to post in. Pretty sure Apple's site talks about the extra features in Server as eel, but not sure how much "How-To" they have.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002

that setup seems to be time consuming to manage... perhaps too much in our work environment.

i was hoping that there would be a 3rd party software that would configure and setup a dropbox like service for a local area network...

any other leads?

thanks!

r.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.