Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregor.hoch

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Anyone Else having this problem? Dropbox claims that the app was updated for iOS 11. Yet the files app still opens this separate pop up for Dropbox files. No full integration.

Douglasdecode

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2017
Dropbox’s website clearly states that the app is already updated for iOS 11 and the files app. But I am also seeing the same thing with Dropbox in the files app. I really want this to work. I use dropbox on my iPhone and iPad every day.

fnkbll

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2017
Anyone Else having this problem? Dropbox claims that the app was updated for iOS 11. Yet the files app still opens this separate pop up for Dropbox files. No full integration.
[doublepost=1506025120][/doublepost]It does not work cannot upload dropbox attachment in IOS 11

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Dropbox’s website clearly states that the app is already updated for iOS 11 and the files app. But I am also seeing the same thing with Dropbox in the files app. I really want this to work. I use dropbox on my iPhone and iPad every day.

[doublepost=1506025120][/doublepost]It does not work cannot upload dropbox attachment in IOS 11

Can you both try something? I have a hunch, but could be wrong. Go to the App Store and go to the updates tab. Do the pull down to refresh gesture (you should a loading spinner if you got it right). Some updates will likely appear and if I’m right, Dropbox will be among them.

This really is just a guess-at-a-distance thing.

Douglasdecode

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2017
This was what dropbox told me on Twitter today.
[doublepost=1506025390][/doublepost]
Can you both try something? I have a hunch, but could be wrong. Go to the App Store and go to the updates tab. Do the pull down to refresh gesture (you should a loading spinner if you got it right). Some updates will likely appear and if I’m right, Dropbox will be among them.

This really is just a guess-at-a-distance thing.
I have been doing that today and for several days.

Attachments

• 6006CDC5-F4CB-461E-9FD8-2B5E2CE77786.jpeg
    6006CDC5-F4CB-461E-9FD8-2B5E2CE77786.jpeg
    737.3 KB · Views: 447

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014

Link please, because according to this link, the new version of Dropbox app is not ready, yet (v64.3). App Store is still showing v64.2.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/mobile/ios-files-app

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 1.31.13 PM.png

ADD: While posting this, appears some heard from Dropbox that v64.3 should be released today? So, info might be a little dated.

Reactions: Douglasdecode

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Thanks for the link. That was originally posted on the 12th, and if you look at the comments section, the most recent post from Dropbox on the matter was seven days ago:

We don't have additional info to share at the moment, but we'll release more details about it very soon :)

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I’d been noticing that opening Dropbox files from the Files interface in apps resulted in a “Downloading” pop up, but the files were never opened. Nor were they stored anywhere locally in the app or in Files. I’m glad a fix for this is coming.

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
Yeah, really surprised that Dropbox didn’t have their new app ready in time. Box does have their app ready, and the integration works really well. Hopefully the Dropbox integration will be just as smooth when the new app is out.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Looks like Dropbox has released v64.3.

ADD: just tried it. Need to turn off passcodes in Dropbox app to use with Files. Personally, not going to do that. Google Drive and MS OneDrive apps do not seem to have issue with having passcodes on and tied into Files.

Last edited:

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Yeah, really surprised that Dropbox didn’t have their new app ready in time. Box does have their app ready, and the integration works really well. Hopefully the Dropbox integration will be just as smooth when the new app is out.

Lots of folks were surprised about that but NoBoMac is right, v.64.3 is now out. When you install it, the display is identical to the iCloud display in the Files app. No more pop up documents picker!

Btw, not sure why but the App Store did not indicate an update when there clearly was. I was using 64.2.2, so I deleted it manually and reinstalled a fresh copy of 64.3.4. Works great with the Files app so far.

No Microsoft has to do the same with OneDrive.

Reactions: Feenician

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Lots of folks were surprised about that but NoBoMac is right, v.64.3 is now out. When you install it, the display is identical to the iCloud display in the Files app. No more pop up documents picker!

Btw, not sure why but the App Store did not indicate an update when there clearly was. I was using 64.2.2, so I deleted it manually and reinstalled a fresh copy of 64.3.4. Works great with the Files app so far.

No Microsoft has to do the same with OneDrive.

The App Store updates page isn't always refreshing properly at the moment. Pull down to refresh kicks into action.

Glad you're enjoying Dropbox in Files. I agree about OneDrive, it's the only cloud storage I use!

Reactions: tgara

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
The App Store updates page isn't always refreshing properly at the moment. Pull down to refresh kicks into action.

Glad you're enjoying Dropbox in Files. I agree about OneDrive, it's the only cloud storage I use!

Well, lemme tell ya..... I've been reorganizing..... As it was, I was using OneDrive for work-related files (since we use MS Office at my office), Dropbox for personal stuff, but iCloud Drive was being underutilized. In an effort to consolidate and simplify things, I asked myself why I needed separate 3 cloud services. o_O With no good answer, I put my Dropbox files into iCloud and am experimenting with how the files system works on my iPad. So far so good. I keep Dropbox around since a lot of folks use it, but I may "drop" (no pun intended :rolleyes:) Dropbox entirely if my experiment with iCloud out favorably. I'm paying iCloud for 50GB of space, so I might as well use it.

Uhu

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
Does the Dropbox integration work for you? My files are NOT opened in the corresponding app, they are only previewed

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Well, lemme tell ya..... I've been reorganizing..... As it was, I was using OneDrive for work-related files (since we use MS Office at my office), Dropbox for personal stuff, but iCloud Drive was being underutilized. In an effort to consolidate and simplify things, I asked myself why I needed separate 3 cloud services. o_O With no good answer, I put my Dropbox files into iCloud and am experimenting with how the files system works on my iPad. So far so good. I keep Dropbox around since a lot of folks use it, but I may "drop" (no pun intended :rolleyes:) Dropbox entirely if my experiment with iCloud out favorably. I'm paying iCloud for 50GB of space, so I might as well use it.

I have been thinking about moving everything into iCloud too to be honest. One less place to go, like you say, and one less lurking in my Bartender bar on the Mac. I can still get to my Office files either way. While there's reassurance that OneDrive gives me 1Tb I'm only using a fairly stable 10-11Gb. How's it working for you? Any gotchas?

Does the Dropbox integration work for you? My files are NOT opened in the corresponding app, they are only previewed

When you're in the preview hit the share button and use the share sheet.

Uhu

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
When you're in the preview hit the share button and use the share sheet

This is not what was promised. Share produced a copy of the file which has to be saved afterwards to Dropbox again. What Dropbox promised was an in place editing without having to juggle all the apps

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
This is not what was promised. Share produced a copy of the file which has to be saved afterwards to Dropbox again. What Dropbox promised was an in place editing without having to juggle all the apps

That’s a fault with the app in the share sheet. If it says Copy To, that’s on the app. The ability to just open it in place has been there for 3 successive iOS releases.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Thats not how i read it. https://blogs.dropbox.com/dropbox/2017/09/ios-11-files-heif-hevc/

"The new Files app in iOS 11 lets you browse files stored on your device and on Dropbox—all in one place. From there, you can open, edit, move, rename, upload, create folders, and download files. And if you have personal and work Dropbox accounts, you’ll be able to browse both in Files.

Connecting your Dropbox account to Files extends beyond the app itself. This new integration also makes your Dropbox files available across the entire operating system. You’ll now be able to access files stored in your Dropbox account from supported third-party apps. So instead of jumping back and forth between apps, changes to Dropbox files opened in another app will automatically sync to your account."

there is no edit in place promise via Files.

And I agree with above, that is on the 3rd party app using copy to rather than open in.

Last edited:

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I have been thinking about moving everything into iCloud too to be honest. One less place to go, like you say, and one less lurking in my Bartender bar on the Mac. I can still get to my Office files either way. While there's reassurance that OneDrive gives me 1Tb I'm only using a fairly stable 10-11Gb. How's it working for you? Any gotchas?

I use bartender as well, so it was nice to hide one more icon. ;)

To answer your question, the experiment seems to be going very well. All the syncing with both iCloud and OneDrive is fast and has been flawless so far. Just waiting for Microsoft to update the OneDrive app so that it integrates properly with the Files app.

The big advantage of using iCloud is that with the new capability to tag and favorite folders and files now in the Files app, all of those indications sync to my Mac so it makes things very very seamless.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I use bartender as well, so it was nice to hide one more icon. ;)

To answer your question, the experiment seems to be going very well. All the syncing with both iCloud and OneDrive is fast and has been flawless so far. Just waiting for Microsoft to update the OneDrive app so that it integrates properly with the Files app.

The big advantage of using iCloud is that with the new capability to tag and favorite folders and files now in the Files app, all of those indications sync to my Mac so it makes things very very seamless.

Ok, you convinced me :) I’m traveling, with Stone Age connectivity, but I might well give this a try next week when back in the US.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Ok, you convinced me :) I’m traveling, with Stone Age connectivity, but I might well give this a try next week when back in the US.

Yeah, try it with a few files and see how you like it. Personally, the convenience of only having to deal with two cloud services is worth the price of admission.

Reactions: Feenician
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.