Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doeman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
The Dropbox account still comes with 2 GB from start but the bonus space was raised yesterday from 3 GB to 8 GB (totalling 10 GB of free space!).

* Great for backup.
* Syncs the files (in a specified folder) between two computers or more.
* Replaces the need for flash cards as you can reach your account from any computer.
* Compatible with Mac/PC/Linux and iPhone.

Ok, enough spamming. If you are interested in signing up the link below will give both you and me 250 MB extra space:
https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE3NTY3Mzc5

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
April fools is today, 4/1 in the US.

True, but their Facebook page seems legit, since it is linked to from their homepage.

OP, you didn't bother to mention that you only get that added space if you max out your referrals. How convenient.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Right I wasn't saying DB didn't increase size, someone said April Fool's Day was Tuesday. I respectfully disagree.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Right I wasn't saying DB didn't increase size, someone said April Fool's Day was Tuesday. I respectfully disagree.

Oh I see what you're saying. I think that particular reply was meant to state this wasn't an April Fools joke, as this size increase took place on Tuesday.

doeman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
True, but their Facebook page seems legit, since it is linked to from their homepage.

OP, you didn't bother to mention that you only get that added space if you max out your referrals. How convenient.

I didn't try to hide it either as I specifically wrote in my first post the increase now was made to the free bonus space. I didn't want to be confusing in trying to explain too much in once sentence.

Still with its initial 2.5 GB (with the initial referral bonus + the additional "guru" bonus you can achieve by yourself) I think its the best and most convenient FREE backup/sync solution for Mac. Especially since they added the iPhone app. And after you invited your friends and family you get even more space (up to 10.5 GB). Again, for free.

If somebody favours a different free sync/backup solution Im curious to hear more about it. :)

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I didn't try to hide it either as I specifically wrote in my first post the increase now was made to the free bonus space. I didn't want to be confusing in trying to explain too much in once sentence.

Still with its initial 2.5 GB (with the initial referral bonus + the additional "guru" bonus you can achieve by yourself) I think its the best and most convenient FREE backup/sync solution for Mac. Especially since they added the iPhone app. And after you invited your friends and family you get even more space (up to 10.5 GB). Again, for free.

If somebody favours a different free sync/backup solution Im curious to hear more about it. :)

Fair enough, but you could have mentioned that to obtain this bonus space, you'll need to refer people. Considering you get 250MB per referral, that's 32 referrals, which seems a bit daunting.

I use JungleDisk coupled with Amazon S3 as it encrypts both the transmission of the data and the data itself.

doeman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Fair enough, but you could have mentioned that to obtain this bonus space, you'll need to refer people. Considering you get 250MB per referral, that's 32 referrals, which seems a bit daunting.

I use JungleDisk coupled with Amazon S3 as it encrypts both the transmission of the data and the data itself.

Thanks, I'll give it a peek. Dropbox also take use of Amazon S3 by the way. As is Cloud App which should go live (with further details) later today.

doeman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Whoa. No offense, but I'm shocked to hear you say that. I agree with you entirely. Choose what is best for you.

In Europe, at least in Scandinavia, MobileMe is really really slow. I'm a subscriber but just to sync my iCal, my bookmarks and being able to use Back to my Mac with my TimeCapsule.

It seems Apple was to cheap to buy server capacity in Europe as well. I just use it to backup my preferences files.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Since my account is still showing my original allotment of 2gb.

That being the case and a dearth of any real news releases about this. I'm attributing it to april fools day.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Joke posts should be banned from MR. Drivel posts get deleted, these should too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.