Dropbox on MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by creativedogmedia, Apr 10, 2012.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I have been using dropbox on my MBP w/Lion for a while....My company just got the corporate version of DB and I want to remove my personal DB data from my MBP but dont want to delete it(still want to access that from the web version). I want to use the integrated DB application on my MBP. How do I get rid of DB in finder on my personal account and replace it with my corporate one?

2. simsaladimbamba

Menu Bar > Dropbox icon > Preferences > Account > Unlink this computer.

3. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Thanks....assume a restart is required. I went to install the app and it asks if I want to merge with current DB folder or create new....checking on that now. Thanks again.

----------

Actually it didn't go away...I unlinked it and then removed from sidebar. At this point it is a local file, right? I can delete the whole thing and not lose what's in my cloud based DB account.

4. simsaladimbamba

As I haven't done what you did, I can't really say, maybe peruse the Dropbox message board for more help.

Anyway, removing an item from a Sidebar does nothing, it does not delete any files or settings or folder, it just deletes the shortcut to the Dropbox folder.
    If you have a proper Backup of your local Dropbox folder and then deleted it or have renamed it to something else, the new Dropbox account should take effect. But again, I never did that, thus I may be talking out of my arse.

5. unixperience macrumors regular

the restart isn't actually required, but of course it never hurts

if you merge folders, note that that means everything already in there (your personal files) will get uploaded to the corporate DB. you can either change the name of your own personal db folder, or you can make a new folder for corporate

but you are right, they are indeed just local files. deleting them or modifying them will not change anything on the dropbox servers (since you unlocked the computer), hope that helped