Dropbox, Photostream, Cloud, Finder and this bloody iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NewToMac2013, Jun 29, 2013.

1. NewToMac2013 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I've read various threads and researched options etc and I now turn to you for advice with a certain amount of 'how to' guidance.

1. I opened a 200gb Dropbox account and loaded it with 40,000 or so pictures and family movies as well as XLS, PPT, PDF and DOCs.
    2. I moved from PC to iMac for home use a few months ago.

My BIG frustration is the iPhoto/Finder/Upload issues.

So, here's the issues:

Dropbox seems to auto upload every picture on iPhone and somehow (but I don't know consistently). It has 1250 pictures in CAMERA UPLOAD. I quite like this but it seems to be renaming the JPG and MOV files from their original to a date-time-group and sometime meta data like HDR where relevant.

In addition, the photo's are arranged in folders and I can get along with iPhoto's events but importantly, Dropbox is backing up the FINDER storage and not the iPhoto events, not a big issue but again, there are opportunities for inconsistency.

With the iPhoto itself, I believe I dragged all the legacy pictures over to it, but how do I know it is keeping up to date. If i put my camera's SD card into the back of my iMac and Dropbox uploads and renames the images, I copy and paste them into FINDER in the folder I want them to be then I have AT LEAST ONCE (probably) duplicated them. How does iPhoto find them, sometimes it asks to import stuff, but generally it doesn't or it doesn't very much.

And then there is photo stream - where is that finding the photo's, because it's got a random collection of stuff from when i first got my AppleTV and contains images I have deleted from elsewhere, yet photostream still has them! Where is photostream and why is it not updating.

With regards to the Cloud, would my life me made cheaper and easier if I moved to iCloud rather than Dropbox.

When it comes to iPhoto, I understand I HAVE TO USE IT to edit my photo's, but with the uploading and cloud and duplications that I am without doubt creating, I wish my edits would stay in one place...

I accept a lot of the problems I have are how I am interacting with Apple, but it isn't exactly clear and well, to be honest, I like a lot of Apple, just not the photo bit.

I hope that you can help me work out a best of breed, best practice and plan to switch from whatever-the-hell it is that I have created into what you think I need..

Am happy to walk away from Dropbox to any other provider that you would recommend - except googledrive which is unfortunately appalling.

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Enabling photos in Dropbox is an optional feature. I never turned mine on... and my photo library has remained clean. I use Aperture.

/Jim

3. NewToMac2013 thread starter macrumors newbie

Noted, I will look into turning off, but obviously auto upload has security advantages that I quite like.

Aperture - didn't like it and doesn't appear to solve the save-the-edit option... Or am I reading it's blurb wrong?

4. scarred macrumors 6502a

Recently had my struggles with something similar. Aperture, I believe, is your ticket to sanity here.

I use a feature called "referenced photos" in aperture. The masters are stored in a sync'd folder (in your case, drop box, in my case I'm using BitTorrent Sync). Aperture library references those pictures but doesn't change them. Only the edits are stored in the library itself.

It has been working quite well for me. The only thing I haven't sorted out is how to automatically add pictures to the second library. I do like each user having their own library customized as they want (their own albums, for example).