Dropbox questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by theaero, Jun 12, 2010.

1. theaero macrumors 6502

Im using dropbox, and I want to automatically take whatever is in my /Users/Home/Pictures folder to

/Users/Home/Dropbox/Photos

How would I go about doing this? I haven't figure out a way using symbolic links, or any other way.

2. Devils macrumors newbie

Do you mean like, whenever you save a picture in pictures folder it goes to photos? Or do you mean that it is copied to photos?

Is this a one time thing?

If you just want to move everything, open both folders and then hit <command>+<A> in the first one. This will select all. Copy the files. Next, paste them into the second folder. You are done.

As to automated transfer: ie: everything you drop into it is either copied or pasted into the other folder it would be best to create a workflow. <control>+click inside the folder, then point to More>Automator>Create Workflow...
    This will allow you to tell your mac to move or copy the files every time you place one inside.

If you need more help, or have any questions please ask.

3. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I meant an automated workflow. However, when I contorl click inside the folder, I only get New Folder / Get Info / View / Arrange / Show View Options

4. reubs macrumors 68000

You got a few options, I think. The first option would be to create a folder action. I've got no idea how to tell you to do that, but it's an option. What it will do is watch that folder for any changes, and then it will perform that action on the folder for you.

The second option is a program called Hazel. You'll set up a rule, have Hazel watch that folder, and when that folder changes, Hazel will perform the action. It's the same as a folder action, basically, but creating it is more like creating a rule in Mail.

Is there a reason, though, you can't just save stuff directly to the Dropbox folder?

5. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

Simply a matter of personal organization. I suppose its not too big of a deal though. Thanks :)

6. Devils macrumors newbie

You could go into the applications folder and open automateur from there, and then assign it to the folder while you're making it.

Although, I do agree that better organization is probably the key. ;)

7. JeffMonty macrumors member