Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dropbox today announced that it is increasing the amount of storage space available to many of its paid subscribers for no additional charge.

Starting today, Dropbox Professional accounts get 2TB of storage space, while Business Standard teams have access to 3TB of shared storage space.

dropboxlogo-800x432.jpg

According to Dropbox, its new storage limits give customers more freedom to free up phone and hard drive space, share large files, and work with Dropbox's Smart Syncing features.

All new Professional and Business Standard accounts include the upgraded storage today, while storage for existing accounts will be upgraded in the coming weeks.

Dropbox is not increasing storage space available for free tiers or its Plus accounts. Free storage space remains limited to 2GB, while Plus subscribers will continue to have 1TB of storage space.

Dropbox Professional is priced at $19.99 per month or $16.58 when paying yearly. Dropbox Business is priced at $15 per month per user with a minimum of three users, but pricing drops to $12.50 per user when billed yearly.

Article Link: Dropbox Increases Storage Space for Professional and Business Standard Customers

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
Ah, but of course I'm on the 1TB Plus plan, and at 75% utilization, so could've really used this. RIP me

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
"That sucks that I don't get a bump from 1TB"

*clicks the icon in the menu bar and sees I'm only using 15% of my space*

"I suddenly feel better!"

Yah, same here at 15% usage. I am a paying subscriber on the Plus plan (so 1TB). I had previously earned lots of Bonus space via legitimate referrals prior to upgrading. Upgrade, and wham.... all that bonus space gets folded into my higher quota! But I can't complain. Dropbox has served me very well for coming up to 11 years now.
[doublepost=1532977327][/doublepost]
The Dropbox Plus account should have been the Dropbox Professional account at $9.99 per month. Too expensive, so I'll stick with my iCloud drive.

It previously was, and then they introduced another tier and renamed the Pro to Plus. Then added the higher-priced Pro plan. Glad to see they are upping its quotas.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yah, same here at 15% usage. I am a paying subscriber on the Plus plan (so 1TB). I had previously earned lots of Bonus space via legitimate referrals prior to upgrading. Upgrade, and wham.... all that bonus space gets folded into my higher quota! But I can't complain. Dropbox has served me very well for coming up to 11 years now.
Haha same. I have 1,063.8GB. All my referrals were illegitimate though. I got a thing in the mail for $100 in Google adwords. I knew that French people especially love it when things are in their language, so I wrote the ad in French and targeted it at younger French users who were looking up certain related terms and used my referral link. I got my referrals almost instantly, lol. I also did those various quests to earn bonus space. Do they even do those any more? I'm not a poor college student anymore so I haven't even thought about it until now.

MikeAnd

Suspended
Jan 8, 2008
Still too expensive.

Apple leads the pack with $9.99/month for 2 TB.

Even more shocking is that iCloud Drive is actually getting, dare I say it, good. For work-related reasons I use almost all the cloud storage solutions on various machines, including iCloud Drive, Box, Dropbox, and Google Drive, plus Resilio Sync (sorry, no OneDrive). Three or four years ago I would have trusted Dropbox to sync the most reliably out of the cloud solutions, and then Box, with iCloud Drive and Google Drive bringing up the rear. But in the past year it's gotten to the point where I actually trust iCloud Drive the most out of all of them. In part it's because Dropbox and Box have gotten worse, but mainly it's because iCloud Drive has legitimately gotten good.

On a related note, the new Box Drive client (which replaces Box Sync in the long term) is a complete disaster. What a mess.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
I used to love Dropbox, but now with Google Docs/Drive and git+GitHub, I rarely use it anymore. Both of those have better collaboration features, for documents and code respectively, and their free tiers are better (swap out GitHub for BitBucket if you need private repos). Even if you aren't a programmer, you can get a lot out of GitHub with static website hosting and Markdown previews in repos, and you can still version control your Office documents.

iCloud Drive is probably ok, but I don't need it, and I'm scared ****less to use it. A lot of the iCloud services like Photos and Notes have at times been known to delete stuff for no apparent reason when you turn them on or off. I lost ALL my notes that way, and I think my mom lost some photos, so that's intolerable. The dangers of using something so integrated.

Also, GDrive was crazily glitchy when it came out. IDK if anyone else had issues with it. They've since then fixed everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: B60boy

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Even more shocking is that iCloud Drive is actually getting, dare I say it, good. For work-related reasons I use almost all the cloud storage solutions on various machines, including iCloud Drive, Box, Dropbox, and Google Drive, plus Resilio Sync (sorry, no OneDrive). Three or four years ago I would have trusted Dropbox to sync the most reliably out of the cloud solutions, and then Box, with iCloud Drive and Google Drive bringing up the rear. But in the past year it's gotten to the point where I actually trust iCloud Drive the most out of all of them.

When and if Apple adds shared folder to the iCloud, I will be removing Dropbox for good.

That is not to say Dropbox and iCloud are anywhere near feature parity. For me to fully embrace iCloud and recommend it heartily to others, it would need versioning, ability to control which files and/or folders can remain offline, and support for storage space larger than 2 TB.

MikeAnd

Suspended
Jan 8, 2008
When and if Apple adds shared folder to the iCloud, I will be removing Dropbox for good.

That is not to say Dropbox and iCloud are anywhere near feature parity. For me to fully embrace iCloud and recommend it heartily to others, it would need versioning, ability to control which files and/or folders can remain offline, and support for storage space larger than 2 TB.

Yeah, iCloud Drive is nowhere near feature parity, and even if they add shared folders they presumably still wouldn't have a Windows client (so it's not a professional collaboration option or me). But I used to sync my Desktop and Documents folders between three machines via Resilio Sync (~25k items and 80GB total), and iCloud Drive has gotten good enough that I went ahead and migrated those folders over to it. Based on personal experience I definitely would not trust Dropbox, Box, or Google Drive with that job.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
Nice for pro and business users. I just want them to get rid of the nags in the plus interface constantly trying to get you to upgrade to business plan. Seems tacky to clutter the interface with a constant nag for paying users. For free tier, fine, not for paying tiers.

Reactions: RichardGroves

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Nice for pro and business users. I just want them to get rid of the nags in the plus interface constantly trying to get you to upgrade to business plan. Seems tacky to clutter the interface with a constant nag for paying users. For free tier, fine, not for paying tiers.

This really upset me back when I was a dropbox user. Constantly asking me to join Business Teams ... not just once, but all the frigging time, it just got offensive. Then Plus came along and wow, like advertisement every screen has ads to UPGRADE. I did frigging upgrade...

I went from many many years of Dropbox to Google Drive to OneDrive to iCloud Drive. I still use OneDrive for work thanks to selective folder sync but iCloud drive is actually getting usable and is very fast. With my MBP I'm very happy with it, and the cost - 2TB for my entire family for $9.99/mo. Win. Hoping for shared folders and selective sync someday soon.

Reactions: KazKam and B60boy

B60boy

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2014
Even more shocking is that iCloud Drive is actually getting, dare I say it, good. For work-related reasons I use almost all the cloud storage solutions on various machines, including iCloud Drive, Box, Dropbox, and Google Drive, plus Resilio Sync (sorry, no OneDrive). Three or four years ago I would have trusted Dropbox to sync the most reliably out of the cloud solutions, and then Box, with iCloud Drive and Google Drive bringing up the rear. But in the past year it's gotten to the point where I actually trust iCloud Drive the most out of all of them. In part it's because Dropbox and Box have gotten worse, but mainly it's because iCloud Drive has legitimately gotten good.

On a related note, the new Box Drive client (which replaces Box Sync in the long term) is a complete disaster. What a mess.
Curious why no OneDrive? Like to hear why cause I'm thinking of dropping OneDrive but I need to have some cloud access on a work Windows 10 notebook.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Curious why no OneDrive? Like to hear why cause I'm thinking of dropping OneDrive but I need to have some cloud access on a work Windows 10 notebook.

OneDrive is GREAT. Great on Mac with Word, great on Windows, great on iOS and Android. I highly recommend it ESPECIALLY if you have an Office 365 subscription. That 1TB is a no brainer then. :)

Reactions: B60boy

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
I used to love Dropbox, but now with Google Docs/Drive and git+GitHub, I rarely use it anymore. Both of those have better collaboration features, for documents and code respectively, and their free tiers are better (swap out GitHub for BitBucket if you need private repos). Even if you aren't a programmer, you can get a lot out of GitHub with static website hosting and Markdown previews in repos, and you can still version control your Office documents.

iCloud Drive is probably ok, but I don't need it, and I'm scared ****less to use it. A lot of the iCloud services like Photos and Notes have at times been known to delete stuff for no apparent reason when you turn them on or off. I lost ALL my notes that way, and I think my mom lost some photos, so that's intolerable. The dangers of using something so integrated.

Also, GDrive was crazily glitchy when it came out. IDK if anyone else had issues with it. They've since then fixed everything.

True there about iCloud. All the PDFs I had synced using iBooks was purged after and iOS update (I think, at least it was in conjunction with that). Also lost a couple of notes, but that was years ago and hasn't happened since. I hope iCloud has (or at least will) become stable.

Reactions: fairuz

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Nice increase in storage, though the cost is still a but pricey at 20 dollars a month
If they had offered half the (then) storage for half the (then) price, I would have been all, "here! take my money!" But they didn't offer tiers for a long time, just "free" or "spendy", so I stayed with free (won a number of their treasure hunt contests early on to ge textra space).

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
Man, I haven’t re-linked my Dropbox account to my Mac in years. iCloud Drive does what I need all the time for quite a lovely and very non-Apple low, low, price.

I really wish It would replace my dropbox but it feels really limited. I have all my work files in dropbox and when I want to share with someone I just right click and copy link which is nice and simple.

I've just spent time trying to do that in iCloud and its just long winded. right click, share, add people, email person(did it to my work email). I did all that and there was no sign of sent file in my work email and it wasn't in my junk.

any ideas?

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Dropbox is a lot more trouble than what it's worth. When you share a folder with someone else and drop a large file in it, not only does it use up your available space but also the account of the person you shared it with. Double dipping. Sometimes I have to delete my files I uploaded so they can upload a file. Dumb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.