DropBox...the new way to share files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaduffy108, May 22, 2008.

1. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

2. sir42 macrumors 6502

I haven't tried this yet but .mac's iDisk is painfully slow. If DropBox is significantly faster it very well might be worth it.

3. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

It looks very nice, I wonder how much it will cost. .

4. trentiles macrumors member

DropBox is going to be free.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

And there's the biggest reason. It also looks quite a bit faster, though that may not hold up.

jW

6. SamoanDude macrumors regular

The Macs drop box is a pain for me because permission problems and stalls

7. trentiles macrumors member

This web application has nothing to do with the drop box folder on your mac.

8. jaduffy108 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SPEED! Simplicity.

9. SamoanDude macrumors regular

So your point is????

10. sil3nc3 macrumors regular

This would be PERFECT for schools. No more saying 'I never got that sheet'

11. trentiles macrumors member

You really need to ask that? My point is clear.

This topic is about a web app called Drop Box. No one here is even talking about the drop box folder contained on your mac. It has absolutely nothing to do with the drop box on your mac in your user folder, so why even mention something about that? It is completely off topic and will just confuse other people about how what this app is and how it works.

12. iHusky macrumors newbie

it looks interesting enough to try, but just by browsing the comments on their blog, it looks like it takes over a month to get accepted after you submit your email.

13. soctechnologist macrumors member

If you're interested in the dropbox beta you may want to stroll over to the marketplace forum which has a thread for beta invites. Right now it looks as though there are still a bunch of invites available. Just FYI...

14. Stratification macrumors regular

I've been using it for about a week now to drop files from my work machine (Vista) to my MacBook at home. It's worked great, having a folder that handles the synching for me for free is brilliant. Not sure how they plan to pay for it, but I'll keep using it as long as it's around.

15. soctechnologist macrumors member

Agreed. I've been waiting for this kind of option for a long time. So far I really like it. I've been impressed with the speed of saves/updates too. It's great to hit save on a document and have it be update/backed up to the server within a minute.

16. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Err no it is not.

17. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Another huge potential advantage of dropbox may be Time Machine. iDisk doesn't do time machine backups. I haven't had a chance to test to see whether dropbox does, but if so, I'm going to dump iDisk like a hot potato.

Update: yep, works fine with time machine. Now I just need to see how well it syncs my two computers.

18. soctechnologist macrumors member

Can you explain more about how you're using dropbox with time machine? As a backup destination or? I haven't thought about this option, but am curious.

19. digiphantom macrumors regular

this service seems cool so far, but is there any way to prevent dropbox from starting up when you first boot up?

20. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I just have it as one of the folders that time machine backs up. That way I've got my most recent version synced to the internet and my other computer, and I've got incremental backups if I need to find an old version of a document or something I accidentally deleted.

And btw, it does a great job syncing my two computers -- works seamlessly, and much faster than .mac.

21. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Dropbox will give everybody 2GB for free as well as premium subscription in September when it goes out of beta.

The speed is actually tricky. They try to host only one single version of any item. Like if you upload a song but that has already been hosted by someone else, then yours wont be uploaded but you'll have access to the one that is already online. That's why you may think it goes crazy fast when uploading.
    Of course, they is a very strict process for all this...

22. soctechnologist macrumors member

Gotcha. Yeah I just did the same thing with having time machine back up the dropbox folder.

I agree about the syncing, I've been really impressed with how quickly and easiliy dropbox is working for me among several computers.

23. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh