Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dropbox on Tuesday announced a new client for Mac and Windows that seeks to make the cloud storage service a "meta-platform" for collaborative tools in the productivity workspace.

desktop-new-dropbox-app.jpg

Called "the new Dropbox," the client aims to let teams create and collaborate without ever leaving the app, by enabling them to create and edit Google and Microsoft-based documents, spreadsheets and slides, start Slack conversations and initiate Zoom conference meetings.

The broad idea is to let users engage in light project management outside of the dedicated tools it supports, with the ability to create to-do lists, add comments, delegate tasks, and keep track of progress through a team activity feed.

Other highlights include the ability to create and store shortcuts to any website alongside your content in Dropbox, the ability to manage Jira and Trello projects, and a unified search bar to find traditional files, cloud content, shortcuts, and files you've chosen not to download through the company's selective sync feature.

Interested users can opt into an "early access" program to test out the new app before its official launch. Happily though, the company also promised that the standard Dropbox way of doing things - keeping a synced folder on your Mac and using a simple menu bar applet to manage it - won't be going away when the new app officially rolls out.

Article Link: Dropbox Touts New Collaborative Cloud Storage Management App

ChrisMoBro

Suspended
Oct 31, 2016
Great to see Dropbox adding new features. I’ve used it for almost 10 years now and love it. I had a recent project where the production company only wanted to use Google Drive and it was messy - they make it so complicated in terms of ownership of files.

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
I haven't paid much attention to Dropbox since 2009? but they've been impressing me lately. I might cancel my Google Drive for Dropbox Plus...

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I use and like Dropbox, but this sounds like a bit of a mess. Like iTunes for files (that like iTunes could easily become unfocused and bloated), or Adobe Bridge, which I never liked using. I dunno, hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: TLMuse and 4487549

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
They are in deep poop. Once they limited my devices, I was done with them. I think they overestimated their market position. They needed to emphasise their independence, multi-platform, and ubiquitous nature, and renewed sense of security. Instead, they went all Microsoft BOB on us. Shame.

If they’d have synced things as a competitor to iCloud, they’d have had a chance.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I've long stopped using dropbox, especially since they nerfed how the number of devices. I don't know if many enterprises uses dropbox, but I think if they're using office 365 they'll be using OneDrive and there isn't a need for dropbox.
With iCloud adding shared folder, I no longer have any need for Dropbox. Well, 1Password multiple vault support is the only hold out (which only works over paid subscription or Dropbox).

Reactions: 4487549

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
I’ve used dropbox in the past, but with the addition of shared folders to icloud it’s the end of the road for dropbox in my workflow

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2017
I should've clarified. Multiple vaults. iCloud allows only a single vault. I asked Agilebits for multiple vaults over iCloud Drive (which is essentially porting Dropbox code over) and they kept selling subscription. Dropbox support is strictly on a maintenance mode.

I was wondering about that... At least 2.99/mo is cheaper than 11.99/mo... Still seems weird for Agile Bits though. They’re such a cool indie developer, and the cost of maintaining iCloud should be Apple’s, right?

Btw I just wiped my Dropbox a few days ago, canceled my Plus plan, and have 2.5GB available on the free plan. That should be more than enough for 1P vaults, no?

Reactions: jdechko

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I was wondering about that... At least 2.99/mo is cheaper than 11.99/mo... Still seems weird for Agile Bits though. They’re such a cool indie developer, and the cost of maintaining iCloud should be Apple’s, right?

Btw I just wiped my Dropbox a few days ago, canceled my Plus plan, and have 2.5GB available on the free plan. That should be more than enough for 1P vaults, no?
I would even pay smaller subscription fee for multiple vaults over iCloud. I just don't want my very important data on a 3rd party service. And I really want to move away from Dropbox as it uses a lot of RAM all the time (about 500 MB) and lots of CPU during heavy file I/O activity (e.g., when I compile even when none of the files are on Dropbox folder).

Reactions: TLMuse and 4487549

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2017
I would even pay smaller subscription fee for multiple vaults over iCloud. I just don't want my very important data on a 3rd party service. And I really want to move away from Dropbox as it uses a lot of RAM all the time (about 500 MB) and lots of CPU during heavy file I/O activity (e.g., when I compile even when none of the files are on Dropbox folder).

I've deprecated Dropbox to download links sent by colleagues, so there's no more folder sharing, or cloud syncing (to local Dropbox folder in user folder). I suppose deleting the Mac app is the next step, so I can save that 200MB memory leak.

Most of my work accounts are G-suite so that takes care of file/folder sharing.

iCloud is even starting to look like a safe/stable option for storing personal files. However, I wish sync control was a little more granular than all-in on "Desktop & Documents". I'd prefer to have the choice what to archive in the cloud vs store locally. That said, I could just create a user folder called Documents Local...

Last edited:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I still like Dropbox's per-file status visible in the Finder, I can see exactly which and when individual files and folders are syncing or done syncing. iCloud Drive is a lot more opaque.

ftf

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2004
I've been with dropbox plus for quite a while now... I'm only using half of my 1TB plan and I was just informed that my yearly subscription is now going up 20% along with an extra TB of storage. I don't need the extra storage or the new features just announced - so now looking at alternatives.

iCloud is a bit of a mess for me - anyone have experience with pCloud?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.