dropbox type app for my NAS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by donaldmac, Sep 10, 2011.

1. donaldmac macrumors newbie

Hi I'm wanting some sort of app that sits in the top bar quietly and syncs a bunch of folders to my synology NAS mount, kind a like the dropbox does it's thing (but to not to the cloud).

Does such an app exist?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not just use your NAS as extension of your hard drive, that is sore folders/file there.

I use my NAS to store data that I manually move. Using some sort of syncing software doesn't seem to make sense to me, at least in usage for a NAS

3. donaldmac thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a laptop so would like to work on said files away from home. They are also too big for the cloud and dropbox, they're massive multimedia projects.

4. 1911 macrumors member

DropBox for NAS

The "File Browser" feature of a Synology NAS is an excellent alternative to DropBox. When you say " ...they're massive multimedia projects," I see a problem with bandwidth. Generally Massive is not a term used in conjunction with a cloud app like DropBox. On the other hand, I use Super Flexible File Synchronizer to sync files or folders to my Synology NAS and it works very well, but when you have files or folders that will tax your bandwidth, you end up losing too much time waiting for a sync to complete. Maybe you should investigate a remote access application equivalent to RDP, or just create a VPN to your LAN.

5. donaldmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Just looking at this app now, seems perfect. I too have a Synology. I don't mind having to wait for big files to copy, it shouldn't be too bad if it's smart enough to only copy changed files on a gigabit network.